A. Interim Suspension
In certain circumstances, the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) may impose an interim suspension from UK Premises upon receiving a complaint and prior to the completion of the student conduct process. An interim suspension may be imposed to:
- Ensure the safety and well-being of members of the UK Community or preserve UK property;
- Ensure the Student’s own physical or emotional safety and well-being; or
- Ensure that normal operations of UK are not disrupted.
B. Notice of Interim Suspension
Upon taking such action, the VPSA or authorized representative will:
- Immediately notify the Student in writing of the interim suspension, including the reasons for the interim suspension and appeal rights; and
- Immediately notify the chair of the University Appeals Board (UAB) of the interim suspension.
C. Appeal of Interim Suspension
A Student may appeal the interim suspension to the UAB in writing within seven (7) business days. The interim suspension remains in effect during any appeal. If requested in the written appeal, a Student will be given an opportunity to appear personally before the UAB within three (3) business days of submitting the appeal. Only the following issues may be discussed at the appeal:
- The reliability of the information concerning the Student's conduct, including the matter of his or her identity; or
- Whether the conduct and surrounding circumstances reasonably indicate the continued presence of the Student on UK Premises poses a substantial and immediate threat to him or herself or to others, or to the stability and continuance of normal UK functions.
D. Prompt Disciplinary Hearing
A Student under interim suspension will be given an opportunity for a prompt disciplinary hearing within the UK student conduct process.