The Committee on Student Success (CSS - formerly CRAC) advises central campus leadership in the design, implementation, and assessment of strategies and programs that improve student academic success, retention, and graduation. Comprised of representatives from the academic colleges, Enrollment Management, Student Affairs, Undergraduate Education, and UKAT, the charge of this committee includes:
- Establish and review current retention and graduation rate data of students at the University of Kentucky;
- Share information about current student success programs, activities, and assessment initiatives occurring on campus;
- identify practices and outstanding student success programs and at other institutions and considers their application potential at UK;
- advise the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education concerning ways to create a campus culture that fosters student success by increasing student learning, success, satisfaction and persistence at UK; and,
- Share and communicate campus retention and student success activities, including a yearly report.
For 2015 – 16, CSS has selected three initiatives in which to concentrate their efforts (listed below).
- First Year Experience Recommendations: This work ties directly to Strategic Plan Goal 1, Initiative 1, Action Step 2 which indicates “implement comprehensive first-year and second-year experience programs designed to deliver on our commitment to student success.”
Last year, a sub-committee of the CSS created The Blueprint: Year One, which is being implemented this fall as UK’s first year experience; however, implementation of the remaining FYE recommendations needs to still happen. These recommendations include:
- Compressed Move In
- Delayed Greek Recruitment
- Hosting the Student Induction Ceremony prior to the LLP Induction Ceremonies
- Requiring attendance in 100/200 level courses; or courses in which new cohort students are primarily enrolled
- Streamlining K Week and other pre-fall activities
- FYE Advisory Committee
Goal: To finalize recommendations during Fall 15 for implementation in Fall 2016 semester.
Co-Chairs: Becky Jordan & Bethany Miller
- Second Year Experience: This work ties directly to Strategic Plan Goal 1, Initiative 1, Action Step 2 which indicates “implement comprehensive first-year and second-year experience programs designed to deliver on our commitment to student success.”
Last year, a sub-committee of the CSS created The Blueprint: Year One, which is being implemented this fall as our FYE. The Blueprint: Year Two will serve as our second year experience.
Based on discussion in the CSS meeting, the SYE should focus on programs, activities and milestones, such as:
- Connections with college programs
- Learning communities
- Leadership opportunities
- Engagement opportunities
- Career connections
- Updating financial aid applications
- Living on/off campus
- Transition event at the end of first year to introduce/promote second year
- Other, as the sub-committee deems necessary
Goal: By the end of the spring 2016 semester, the sub-committee will have chosen the specific components, order, and timing of the SYE, with a proposed implementation date of Fall 2016.
Co-Chairs: Randa Remer-Eskridge and Marianne Young
- Formalized Communication Plan: The project’s primary goal is to create a formalized communication plan between CSS and the colleges, including:
- Inventory of student success best practices
- Connecting the dots
- Strengthen awareness
- Avoid duplication
- Create stronger transitions
- Establish collaborations
Goal: Creation of a formalized communication plan by end of Spring 2016, for full implementation by Fall 2016.
Chair: Shari Veil
Committee Membership List, Meeting Minutes and Agendas are found below