President's Sustainability Advisory Committee
The mission of the President's Sustainability Advisory Committee is to focus and coordinate the University’s activities within the broad meaning of sustainability, as reflected in the University’s Statement on Sustainability Policy and Principles (PDF). The committee was also charged with a more specific set of responsibilities. The committee has been very active recently in the development and coordination of the Sustainability Challenge Grant Programs.
Established in May of 2008, this advisory committee grew out of the work of a Task Force. The task force was appointed in 2005 after a group of students met with University Administrators to encourage sustainable development at the University of Kentucky.
The committee meets monthly between August and May on. Guests are welcome to attend and are encouraged to present ideas and pose questions about sustainability-related issues at UK. Meeting location varies month to month because the committee often tour campus facilities as part of their meetings. If you would like to attend a meeting or make a presentation to the committee, please contact Shane Tedder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2019 Meeting dates and times:
- February 19, 2019
- March 19, 2019
- April 16, 2019
- May 21, 2019
Minutes from past meetings:
- January 15, 2019
- November 30, 2018
- February 20, 2018
- February 9, 2017
- January 12, 2017
- December 15, 2016
- November 10, 2016
- October 13, 2016
- September 8, 2016
The Committee is composed as follows:
1. Two members from University business operations;
2. Three faculty members;
3. Two student members;
4. One member from Student and Academic Life (Provost);
5. One member representing the University research mission (Vice President for Research);
6. One member from Environmental Management;
Administrative Regulation 6:8 Page 3 of 3
7. One member from UK Public Relations (non-voting);
8. One member from the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government;
9. One member from the Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment;
10. Up to four members at large;
11. The Sustainability Coordinator (Ex Officio);
12. The Vice President for Facilities Management or designee (Ex Officio); and
13. The Sustainability Manager for UK Dining (Ex Officio).
- Define, develop and recommend for adoption a university "Statement on Sustainability Policy and Principles".
- Develop an annual set of committee goals and planned actions designed to further promote and advance an institutional culture of sustainability.
- Publicize and communicate current university sustainability initiatives to the university community.
- Assess the completeness and progress of university sustainability efforts as compared to national benchmark institutions. Conduct an annual review of University of Kentucky operations in terms of sustainability; develop indicators to measure progress and make suggestions and recommendations for improvements.
- Produce an annual report of active university sustainability efforts and activities in the areas of business operations, education, research and community engagement.
- Conduct and promote campus events, workshops, showcases, exhibits and symposia focused on enhancing sustainability efforts and practices so as to more fully engage students, faculty and staff in this topic.
- Promote and encourage sustainable best practices in university facility planning, design, and construction.
- Prepare a guidance plan (including goals and action items) on how the university can achieve a reduction in campus greenhouse gas emissions and seek to become more climate neutral.
- Create and appoint such technical advisory task forces and committees as may be appropriate to advise the committee and to foster increased opportunities for campus community involvement and input.