What is TL?
Transformative Learning is a centralized student support unit on campus, a student’s one-stop shop for on-campus academic resources, including Academic Preparation and Placement, The Study, Presentation U!, and Academic Coaching. Transformative Learning partners with student service programs and academic units across the university to enhance student retention and progress to degree.
The mission of Transformative Learning is to enhance students' academic experience as early and as often as possible. The leadership team strives to achieve this mission by working closely with students, faculty, and staff across campus in the development and enhancement of programs that will best serve the entire campus community.
Transformative Learning’s four Pillar Programs are:
- Academic Coaching offers services such individual academic coaching, which is a proactive, interactive, 1:1 collaboration between the student and academic coach that supplements academic instruction and advising at the university. This supplemental process focuses on learning strategies, life management skills, and improving the student’s academic performance.
- Academic Preparation & Placement (APP) helps first-year undergraduate students reach benchmarks of college readiness in reading, writing, and mathematics. Each semester, students are enrolled in this state mandated program based on entrance and placement test scores. In each of the three areas, students are met where they are academically through one credit courses.
- The Study provides free, drop-in peer tutoring for many UK Core mathematics, sciences, and business courses. Learn from and alonside peers in an open and relaxed group tutoring environment. Drop-in tutoring is offered at The Study Central (Garden Level of Donovan Hall) and The Study North (bottom level of Jewell Hall).
- Presentation U! is a state of the art multimodal communication center offering free peer tutoring for students and support services for faculty and staff to increase oral, written, and visual communication competence both inside and outside the classroom, as part of UK's Quality Enhancement Plan for SACS-COC accreditation. Come early and often for help with developing papers, public speaking skills, presentations, and more.
In addition to the four pillar programs, Transformative Learning provides the following campus wide resources:
- Transformative Learning Power Hours: A series of 1-hour workshops on a variety of topics designed to provide just-in-time information and strategies for student success. Power Hours focus on Study Success Strategies and Multimodal Communication Competencies.
- We also offer Workshops that are available upon request as 50 minute presentations which can be facilitated almost anywhere on campus. See topics here.
- Office Hours @ The Study: Drop-in tutoring provided by teaching assistants in specific courses such as, Spanish, Mandarin, and APP.