What is TL?
Transformative Learning is a centralized student support unit on campus, a student’s one-stop shop for on-campus academic resources, including Academic Preparation and Placement, The Study, and Academic Coaching. Transformative Learning partners with student service programs and academic units across the university to enhance student retention and progress to degree.
The mission of Transformative Learning is to enhance students' academic experience as early and as often as possible. The leadership team strives to achieve this mission by working closely with students, faculty, and staff across campus in the development and enhancement of programs that will best serve the entire campus community.
Transformative Learning’s four Pillar Programs are:
- Academic Coaching offers services such individual academic coaching, which is a proactive, interactive, 1:1 collaboration between the student and academic coach that supplements academic instruction and advising at the university. This supplemental process focuses on learning strategies, life management skills, and improving the student’s academic performance.
- Academic Preparation & Placement (APP) helps first-year undergraduate students reach benchmarks of college readiness in reading, writing, and mathematics. Each semester, students are enrolled in this state mandated program based on entrance and placement test scores. In each of the three areas, students are met where they are academically through one credit courses.
- The Study provides free, drop-in peer tutoring for many UK Core mathematics, sciences, and business courses. Learn from and alongside peers in an open and relaxed group tutoring environment. Drop-in tutoring is offered at The Study Central (Garden Level of Donovan Hall) , The Study North (bottom level of Jewell Hall), and The Study South (Woodland Glen III large classroom).
In addition to our three pillar programs, Transformative Learning provides the following campus wide resources:
- Transformative Learning is now offering free ETS certified GRE Prep Seminars for UK students. This one-time, 4 hour seminar is designed to provide test-takers with an overview of what to expect when taking the GRE, brush up on test taking and study strategies, as well as review materials for the verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing sections of the exam.
- We also offer Workshops that are available upon request as 50 minute presentations which can be facilitated almost anywhere on campus. See topics here.