Bike sharing is a low-cost, short-term bicycle rental option on campus. UK Transportation Services has partnered with Spin to offer this service, which is a convenient alternative for those without their own bicycle. The bright orange Spin bikes can be used to travel around campus or to go to off-campus locations anywhere in the City of Lexington.
UK students and employees receive 50% off standard rates when signing up using their uky.edu email address. The options are:
- $0.50 per half hour ride
- $14 per month for unlimited 30 minute rides
- $49 per year for unlimited 30 minute rides
To get a monthly or annual membership, open the Spin app and click on the person icon in the upper left corner of the screen. Then click on “Account” to see the membership option.
How It Works
Bike sharing through Spin is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. On campus, you may only park at a bike rack or other areas designated with bike share signage. Parking anywhere other than at a bike rack will result in financial penalties, and multiple violations will result in restrictions from being able to use the service. Bikes must always be parked upright and in a neat and orderly fashion.
Off campus, bikes may be parked anywhere within the public right-of-way, so long as they do not block sidewalks or building entrances or pose a safety hazard.
- Download the Spin app on your smartphone.
- Sign up with your uky.edu email address.
- Find the bike nearest you using the app.
- Once you find the bike you want to check out, scan the QR code to unlock the bike.
- Ride safely, following all rules of the road.
- Park and lock the bike in an appropriate location.
Report a Problem
Having an issue with your Spin bike? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the Wildcat Wheels Bicycle Library for free bicycle rental options, or head over to the Bike page to find out about more campus resources available for those interested in riding a bike on campus.