ADA Accessible Permits
ADA Accessible Permits
Permits for those who require accessible parking spaces
Printer Friendly ADA Accessible Permits Information (PDF Format, 21k)
ADA Accessible Permit Application (PDF Format, 135k)
Plug-in Note: Download Adobe Reader for free to view PDF documents.
The University of Kentucky provides American with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible parking spaces specifically designated for use by those who are mobility-impaired or who meet the criteria set forth in KRS 186.042. These spaces are clearly marked with the universal symbol for ADA accessible areas (Figure 1). UK students and employees with disabilities wishing to park on campus must apply for a UK ADA Accessible Permit. The state permit or plate alone will NOT satisfy this requirement.
The University of Kentucky strongly supports the provision of designated parking spaces at a reasonable proximity to classroom buildings, residence halls, office buildings, and campus bus stops for students and employees with disabilities.
Applying for an ADA Accessible Student Permit
- UK Students: Contact Transportation Services at (859) 257-5757 or by visiting the office in the Press Avenue Garage (721 Press Avenue). Our staff will assist you by answering questions, providing an application form and a temporary ADA accessible permit while your forms are being processed. If you already have a parking permit, the temporary permit is free; otherwise, the temporary permit cost applies. A printable version of the form and instructions is available at www.uky.edu/transportation/help-and-resources_forms. If you require other accommodations associated with attending classes at UK, contact the Disability Resource Center.
- BCTC students: Contact BCTC Disability Support Services.
- Submit your application and supporting documentation to Transportation Services (UK students) or Disability Support Services (BCTC students).
- Your application will be reviewed by the Accessible Parking Application Review Committee (UK Students) or the Application Review Committee (BCTC students).
- You will be contacted by either Transportation Services or Disability Student Services with the committee's decision.
- If approved, your permit will be issued at the Transportation Services office located in the Press Avenue Garage (721 Press Avenue), and will be issued for the duration of the disability, for the semester, or for the permit year, as determined by the committee. The cost of the permit will be determined by the area for which you qualify. For a current student permit rate chart, see UK Student Permit Fees & Options and BCTC Student Parking Options.
Applying for an ADA Accessible Employee* Permit
* Includes faculty, staff, teaching & research assistants, retirees, and other eligible non-students.
- Visit Transportation Services to receive an ADA accessible parking permit application. Our staff will answer your questions and can also provide a temporary ADA accessible permit while your forms are being processed. If you already have a parking permit, the temporary permit is free; otherwise, the temporary permit cost applies. A printable version of the form and instructions is available at www.uky.edu/transportation/help-and-resources_forms. Submit your application and supporting documentation to Parking and Transportation Services in person or by mail.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Accessible Parking Application Review Committee and you will be contacted by Transportation Services with the committee’s decision.
- If approved, your permit will be issued at the Transportation Services office located in the Press Avenue Garage (721 Press Avenue), and will be issued for the duration of the disability or for the permit year, as determined by the committee. The cost of the permit will be determined by the permit type that you would otherwise be authorized. For a current employee permit rate chart, visit Employee Permit Types and Options.
If you suffer from a temporary disability or medical condition (less than one month) and think that you legitimately qualify for a temporary ADA accesible permit, please contact Transportation Services for further instructions and/or options.
ADA Accessible Parking Locations
All ADA accessible parking spaces on campus are controlled for permits 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you find that ADA accessible parking near your place of business is consistently full or if there are none conveniently located, please contact us to alert us of this situation.
An ADA accessible parking permit does not entitle the permit holder to park in violation of the UK Motor Vehicle Parking and Traffic Regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, spaces otherwise restricted by special signs or curb paint. ADA accessible permits are not authorized to park R Lots unless parking in a designated ADA accessible space. Vehicles parking in violation are subject to citation and/or impoundment at the owner's expense.
The use of an ADA accessible permit by someone other than the person listed on the Transportation Services permit application may result in a citation, impoundment, and/or termination of the permit privileges.
If a student or employee with disabilities rides to campus with another person, the ADA accessible permit may be used in an ADA accessible space only when the person with the disability is present. For example, if the individual with disabilities is dropped off prior to parking the vehicle and the other occupant parks the vehicle, he/she may not utilize an ADA accessible space but must park in any regular parking space.