Car Sharing (Zipcar)
UK Transportation Services has partnered with Zipcar to offer car sharing on campus. Unlike traditional car rental services, the minimum age allowed to use the Zipcar car sharing program is 18 years of age or older.
Car sharing is a great option for individuals who don’t have cars on campus, regularly use alternative transportation, or want to avoid wear and tear on their personal vehicle. Zipcars can be used for quick trips—to the grocery store, to off-campus meetings or to explore Lexington—as well as for longer journeys.
Benefits of Car Sharing
- Cost savings—you save money on insurance, skip parking permit fees, and gas costs!
- Saves time—with car sharing, there's no car cleaning or maintenance; these are included in the cost of membership. Zipcars also have designated parking spaces on all over campus for easy pick-up and return.
- Environmental benefits—fewer cars on the road means less congestion and less pollution.
- Everything is included—The little things don't add up. Zipcar rates include gas, insurance, maintenance and up to 180 miles of driving per day.
UK students can join Zipcar for $15 per year, and UK employees can join for $25 per year. Rates start as low as $7.50 per hour and $69 per day. Gas, maintenance, insurance, and up to 180 miles of driving per day are included in Zipcar rates.
How It Works
Car sharing through Zipcar is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for students and employees 18 years of age and older, and members of the local community ages 21 and older. Cars can be reserved for as little as one hour or for multiple days.
Several vehicles are located on UK's campus. The Zipcars have designated parking spots in the Woodland Avenue Lot, the student center lot and Greg Page Apartments area for convenient pick-up and return. As mentioned previously, gas is included with every reservation (a gas card is located in the car), no matter how long the trip or how far you drive. Cars must have at least 1/4 tank of gas left for the next member.
Plus, Zipcar membership is universal, so UK students and employees who join are also able to rent cars anywhere that Zipcar is available.
Car sharing at UK is easy—just follow these steps:
1. Apply online at www.zipcar.com/uky. Once approved, Zipcar will send you your Zipcard.
2. Book your Zipcar. You may make reservations through www.zipcar.com/uky or the Zipcar mobile app.
3. Hold your Zipcard to the car's windshield to unlock, or use the app to unlock the car remotely.