Strong passwords are required by link blue. They must be:
- At least eight characters long.
- Non-dictionary words
- Use upper-and lowercase letters.
- Use numbers and special characters (!@#$%...)
- Avoid common phrases, famous quotes, song lyrics, family and pet names.
- Don't use the same password everywhere. (e.g. Facebook and email account).
- Don't share your password with anyone.
- Don't open attachments from unknown senders.
- Be careful about opening attachments from known senders.
- Don't respond to emails that ask you to send your password.
- Don't click on the links in an email.
Optionally, you can use software to protect your laptop, should it be stolen. Both Windows and Mac platforms have software available that will encrypt your data.
- Windows EFS
- Built-in BitLocker
- Don't leave laptops, cell phones, or any other electronic devices unattended.
- Use a laptop security cable, even for quick trips to the restroom. Check out our UK-contracted vendors on eBuy (uky.edu/eBuy) for a discount.