Charles W. Fox
For further information on co-authors, or abstracts
of papers, click the links imbedded in the citation.
Publication list last updated October 2011
PAPERS and BOOK CHAPTERS
Fox CW. The effect of inbreeding on natural selection in a seed-feeding beetle. Journal of Evolutionary Biology in press.
- Reed DH, CW Fox, LS Enders & TN Kristensen. 2012. Inbreeding-stress interactions: evolutionary and conservation consequences. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1256: 33-48. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2012.06548.x
- Fox CW, WG Wallin, ML Bush, ME Czesak & FJ Messina. 2012. Effects of seed beetles on the performance of two desert legumes depend on host species, plant stage, and beetle density. Journal of Arid Environments 80: 10-16. doi: 10.1016/j.jaridenv.2011.12.008
- Fox CW, J Xu, WG Wallin & CL Curtis. 2012. Male inbreeding status affects female fitness in a seed-feeding beetle. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 25: 29-37. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02400.x
- Abbot P., et al. (137 authors listed alphabetically). 2011. Inclusive fitness theory and eusociality. Nature 471: E1-E4. doi: 10.1038/nature09831
- Amarillo-Suárez AR, RC Stillwell & CW Fox. 2011. Natural selection on body size is mediated by multiple interacting factors: a comparison of beetle populations varying naturally and experimentally in body size. Ecology and Evolution 1: 1-14. doi: 10.1002/ece3.1
- Fox CW & DH Reed. 2011. Inbreeding depression increases with environmental stress: An experimental study and meta-analysis. Evolution 65: 246–258.
- Fox CW, RC Stillwell, WG Wallin, CL Curtis & DH Reed. 2010. Inbreeding-environment interactions for fitness: Complex relationships between inbreeding depression and temperature stress in a seed-feeding beetle. Evolutionary Ecology 25: 25-43.
- Fox CW, JD Wagner, S Cline, FA Thomas & FJ Messina. 2011. Rapid evolution of lifespan in a novel environment: sex-specific responses and underlying genetic architecture. Evolutionary Biology 38: 182-196. doi: 10.1007/s11692-011-9116-9
- Messina FJ & CW Fox. 2011. Egg-dumping behavior is not correlated with wider host acceptance in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae: Bruchinae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 104: 850-856. doi: 10.1603/AN11040
- Fox CW & DH Reed. 2010. Inbreeding depression increases with maternal age. Evolutionary Ecology Research in press.
- Fox CW, ML Bush & FJ Messina. 2010. Biotypes of the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus have differing effects on the germination and growth of their legume hosts. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 12: 353-362.
- Fox CW & DF Westneat. 2010. Adaptation. Pp 16-31 in DF Westneat & CW Fox (editors) Evolutionary Behavioral Ecology. Oxford University Press, NY.
- Stillwell RC, WU Blanckenhorn, T Teder, G Davidowitz & CW Fox. 2010. Sex differences in phenotypic plasticity affect variation in sexual size dimorphism in insects – from physiology to evolution. Annual Review of Entomology 55: 227-245. doi: 10.1146/annurev-ento-112408-085500
- Carroll SP & CW Fox. 2009. The evolution of life histories. Pp 567-570 in M Ruse & J Travis (editors) Evolution: The First Four Billion Years. Belknap Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Fox CW & J Moya-Laraño. 2009. Diet affects female mating behavior in a seed-feeding beetle. Physiological Entomology 34: 370-378. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3032.2009.00700.x
- Fox CW & ME Czesak. 2009. Adaptive maternal effects: A case study of egg size plasticity in a seed-feeding beetle. Pp 781-815 in DW Whitman & TN Ananthakrishnan (editors) Phenotypic plasticity of insects: Mechanisms and consequences. Science Pub Inc.
- Fox CW & RC Stillwell. 2009. Environmental effects on sex differences in the genetic load for adult lifespan in a seed-feeding beetle. Heredity 103: 62-72. doi: 10.1038/hdy.2009.31
- Fox CW, JD Wagner, S Cline, FA Thomas & FJ Messina. Genetic architecture underlying convergent evolution of egg-laying behavior in a seed-feeding beetle. Genetica 136: 179-187. doi: 10.1007/s10709-008-9334-y
- Saeki Y, PH Crowley, CW Fox & DA Potter. 2009. A sex-specific size-number trade-off in clonal broods. Oikos 118: 1552-1560. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0706.2009.17571.x
- Stillwell RC & CW Fox. Geographic variation in body size, sexual size dimorphism and fitness components of a seed beetle: Local adaptation vs. phenotypic plasticity. Oikos 118: 703-712. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0706.2008.17327.x
- Carroll SP & CW Fox. 2008. The next communities: evolution and the integration of invasive species. Pp 239-251 in SP Carroll & CW Fox (editors) Conservation Biology: Evolution in Action. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Fox CW, KL Scheibly & DH Reed. 2008. Experimental evolution of the genetic load and its implications for the genetic basis of inbreeding depression. Evolution 62: 2236–2249. doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2008.00441.x
- Stillwell RC, J Moya-Laraño & CW Fox. 2008. Selection does not favor larger body size at lower temperature in a seed-feeding beetle. Evolution 62: 2534-2544. doi:10.1111/j.1558-5646.2008.00467.x
- Carroll SP & CW Fox. 2007. Dissecting the evolutionary impacts of plant invasions: bugs and beetles as native guides. Global Change Biology 13: 1644-1657.
- Carroll SP, AP Hendry, DN Reznick & CW Fox. 2007. Evolution on ecological time scales. Functional Ecology 21: 387-393.
- Fox CW, RC Stillwell & J Moya-Laraño. 2007. Variation in selection and the evolution of sexual size dimorphism in two seed-feeding beetles. Pp 88-96 in DJ Fairbairn, W Blanckenhorn & T Székely (editors) Sex, Size and Gender Roles: Evolutionary Studies of Sexual Size Dimorphism. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Fox CW, KL Scheibly, BP Smith & WG Wallin. 2007. Inbreeding depression in two seed-feeding beetles, Callosobruchus maculatus and Stator limbatus. The Bulletin of Entomological Research 97: 49-54.
- Moya-Laraño J, M El Tigani El-Sayyid & CW Fox. 2007. Smaller beetles are better scramble competitors at cooler temperatures. Biology Letters 3: 475-478.
- Stillwell RC, GE Morse & CW Fox. 2007. Geographic variation in body size and sexual size dimorphism of a seed-feeding beetle. The American Naturalist 170: 358-369.
- Stillwell RC, WG Wallin, LJ Hitchcock & CW Fox. 2007. Phenotypic plasticity in a complex world: Interactive effects of food and temperature on fitness components of a seed beetle. Oecologia 153: 309-321.
- Stillwell RC & CW Fox. 2007. Environmental effects on sexual size dimorphism of a seed-feeding beetle. Oecologia 153: 273-280.
- Amarillo-Suárez AR & CW Fox. 2006. Population differences in host use by a seed-beetle – local adaptation, phenotypic plasticity and maternal effects. Oecologia 150: 247-258.
- Blanckenhorn WU, RC Stillwell, KA Young, CW Fox & KG Ashton. 2006. When Rensch meets Bergmann: Does sexual size dimorphism change systematically with latitude? Evolution 60: 2004-2011.
- Czesak ME, CW Fox & JB Wolf. 2006. Experimental evolution of phenotypic plasticity: How predictive are cross-environment genetic correlations? The American Naturalist 168: 323-335.
- Fox CW, DM Gordon & P Bojang. 2006. Genetic and environmental sources of variation in survival on non-native host species in the generalist seed beetle, Stator limbatus. The Southwestern Naturalist 51: 490-501.
- Fox CW, RC Stillwell, WG Wallin & LJ Hitchcock. 2006. Temperature and host plant affect nuptial gift size in a seed-feeding beetle. Functional Ecology 20: 1003-1011.
- Fox CW & KL Scheibly. 2006. Variation in inbreeding depression among populations of the seed beetle, Stator limbatus. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 121: 137-144.
- Fox CW, KL Scheibly, WG Wallin, LJ Hitchcock, RC Stillwell & BP Smith. 2006. The genetic architecture of lifespan and mortality rates: Gender and species differences in inbreeding load of two seed-feeding beetles. Genetics 174: 1-11.
- Fox CW & ME Czesak. 2006. Selection on body size and sexual size dimorphism differs between host species in a seed-feeding beetle. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19: 1167-1174.
- Fox CW 2006. Colonization of a new host by a seed-feeding beetle: Genetic variation, maternal experience, and the effect of an alternate host. Annales Zoologici Fennici 43: 239-247.
- Moya-Laraño J & CW Fox. 2006. Total ejaculate size, second male body size and moderate polyandry increase female fecundity in a seed beetle. Behavioral Ecology 17: 940-946.
- Fox CW 2005. Problems in measuring among-family variation in inbreeding depression. American Journal of Botany 92: 1929-1932.
- Stillwell RC & CW Fox. 2005. Complex patterns of phenotypic plasticity: Interactive effects of temperature during rearing and oviposition. Ecology 86: 924-934.
- Fox CW, ML Bush, DA Roff & WG Wallin. 2004. The evolutionary genetics of lifespan and mortality rates in two populations of the seed beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus. Heredity 92: 170-181.
- Fox CW, ME Czesak & WG Wallin. 2004. Complex genetic architecture of population differences in adult longevity of a beetle: Non-additive inheritance, gender differences, body size and a large maternal effect. Journal of Evoutionary Biology 17: 1007-1017.
- Fox CW, RC Stillwell, AR Amarillo-S, ME Czesak & FJ Messina. 2004. Genetic architecture of population differences in oviposition behavior of the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17: 1141-1151.
- Cope JM & CW Fox. 2003. Oviposition decisions in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae): Effects of seed size on superparasitism. Journal of Stored Products Research 39: 355-365.
- Czesak ME & CW Fox. 2003. Evolutionary ecology of size and number in a seed beetle: Genetic trade-offs differ between environments. Evolution 57: 1121-1132.
- Czesak ME & CW Fox. 2003. Genetic variation in male effects on female reproduction and the genetic covariance between the sexes. Evolution 57: 1359-1366.
- Fox CW, ML Bush & WG Wallin. 2003. Maternal age affects adult longevity in the seed beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus. Functional Ecology 17: 811-820.
- Fox CW, L Dublin & SJ Pollitt. 2003. Gender differences in mortality rates in two seed beetle species. Functional Ecology 17: 619-626.
- Fox CW & J Moya-Laraño. 2003. Late-life mortality plateaus: A null model for comparing patterns of mortality. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5: 999-1009.
- Fox CW & CM Rauter. 2003. Bet-hedging and the evolution of multiple mating. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5: 273-286.
- Heath DD, JW Heath, CA Bryden, RM Johnson & CW Fox. 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299: 1738-1740.
- Dobson SL, CW Fox & FM Jiggins. 2002. The effect of Wolbachia-induced cytoplasmic incompatability on host population size in natural and manipulated systems. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 269: 437-445.
- Savalli UM & CW Fox. Proximate mechanisms influencing egg size plasticity in the seed beetle, Stator limbatus. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 95: 724-734.
- Carroll SP, H Dingle, TR Famula & CW Fox. 2001. Genetic architecture of adaptive differentiation in evolving host races of the Soapberry Bug, Jadera haematolma. Genetica 112: 257-272.
- Czesak ME & CW Fox. 2001. The evolutionary ecology of offspring size; concepts and a case study. Recent Research Developments in Ecology 1: 97-114.
- Fox CW, ME Czesak & RW Fox. 2001. Consequences of plant resistance for herbivore survivorship, growth, and selection on egg size. Ecology 82: 2790-2804.
- Messina FJ & CW Fox. 2001. Offspring size and number. Pp 113-127 in CW Fox, DA Roff & DJ Fairbairn (eds.) Evolutionary Ecology: Concepts and Case Studies. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Waddell KJ, CW Fox, KD White & TA Mousseau. 2001. Leaf abscission phenology of a scrub oak: Consequences for growth and survivorship of a leafmining beetle. Oecologia 127: 251-258.
- Fox CW 2000. Natural selection on seed beetle egg size in the field and the lab: Variation among environments. Ecology 81: 3029-3035.
- Fox CW 2000. Maternal effects in insect-plant interactions: Lessons from a desert seed beetle. Recent Research Developments in Entomology 3: 71-93.
- Fox CW , & ME Czesak. 2000. Evolutionary ecology of progeny size in arthropods. Annual Review of Entomology 45: 341-369.
- Fox CW , & UM Savalli. 2000. Maternal effects mediate diet expansion in a seed-feeding beetle. Ecology 81: 3-7.
- Savalli UM, ME Czesak & CW Fox. 2000. Paternal investment in the seed beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae): Variation among populations. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 93: 1173-1178.
- Fox CW, ME Czesak, TA Mousseau & DA Roff. 1999. The evolutionary genetics of an adaptive maternal effect: Egg size plasticity in a seed beetle. Evolution 53: 552-560.
- Fox CW, ME Czesak & UM Savalli. 1999. Environmentally-based maternal effects on development time in the seed beetle, Stator pruininus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae): Consequences of larval density. Environmental Entomology 28: 217-223.
- Heath DD, CW Fox & JW Heath. 1999. Maternal effects on offspring size: Variation through early development of chinook salmon. Evolution 53: 1605-1611.
- Savalli UM & CW Fox. 1999. The effects of male size, age, and mating behavior on sexual selection in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Ecology, Ethology and Evolution 11: 49-60.
- Savalli UM & CW Fox. 1999. Effect of male mating history on paternal investment, fecundity, and female remating in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Functional Ecology 13: 169-177.
- Fox CW 1998. Genetic and maternal influences on body size and development time in the seed beetle, Stator limbatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 91: 128-134.
- Fox CW & TA Mousseau. 1998. Maternal effects as adaptations for transgenerational phenotypic plasticity in insects. Pp. 159-177 in TA Mousseau & CW Fox (editors) Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Fox CW & TA Mousseau. 1998. Concluding remarks: Generalities, implications, and future directions. Pp. 345-348 TA Mousseau & CW Fox (editors) Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Fox CW & UM Savalli. 1998. Inheritance of environmental variation in body size: Superparasitism of seeds affects grand-progeny body size via a non-genetic maternal effect. Evolution 52: 172-182.
- Mousseau TA & CW Fox. The adaptive significance of maternal effects Moms do more than just make babies. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 403-407.
- Savalli UM & CW Fox. 1998. Sexual selection and the fitness consequences of male body size in the seed beetle, Stator limbatus. Animal Behaviour 55: 473-483.
- Savalli UM & CW Fox. 1998. Genetic variation in paternal investment in a seed beetle. Animal Behaviour 56: 953-96.
- Fox CW. 1997. The ecology of body size in a seed beetle, Stator limbatus: Persistence of environmental variation across generations? Evolution 51: 1005-1010.
- Fox CW. 1997. Egg size manipulations in the seed beetle, Stator limbatus: consequences for progeny growth. The Canadian Journal of Zoology 75: 1465-1473.
- Fox CW, JA Nilsson & TA Mousseau. 1997. The ecology of diet expansion in a seed-feeding beetle - pre-existing variation, rapid adaptation and maternal effects? Evolutionary Ecology 11: 183-194.
- Fox CW, MS Thakar & TA Mousseau. 1997. Egg size plasticity in a seed beetle: An adaptive maternal effect. The American Naturalist 149: 149-163.
- Fox CW, KJ Waddell, J. des Lauriers & TA Mousseau. 1997. Seed beetle survivorship, growth and egg size plasticity in a paloverde hybrid zone. Ecological Entomology 22: 416-424.
- Fox CW, KJ Waddell, FR Groeters & TA Mousseau. 1997. Consequences of variation in budbreak phenology for the distribution of a leafmining beetle (Brachys tessellatus) on turkey oak (Quercus laevis). Ecoscience 4: 480-489.
- Fox CW & TA Mousseau. 1996. Larval host plant affects the fitness consequences of egg size in the seed beetle Stator limbatus. Oecologia 107: 541-548.
- Fox CW, AD Harbin & TA Mousseau. 1996. Suitability of a non-host palo verde for development of Stator limbatus (Coleoptera; Bruchidae) larvae. The Pan-Pacific Entomologist 72: 31-36.
- Fox CW, JD Martin, MS Thakar & TA Mousseau. 1996. Clutch size manipulations in two seed beetles, Stator limbatus and S. beali: Consequences for progeny fitness. Oecologia 108: 88-94.
- Fox CW & TA Mousseau. 1995. Asymmetrical reproductive isolation between Stator limbatus (Horn) and S. beali Johnson (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). The Coleopterists Bulletin 49: 179-181.
- Fox CW & TA Mousseau. 1995. Determinants of clutch size and seed preference in a seed beetle, Stator beali (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Environmental Entomology 24: 1557-1561.
- Fox CW, DL Hickman, EL Raleigh & TA Mousseau. 1995. Paternal investment in a seed beetle (Coleoptera: Bruchidae): influence of male size, age, and mating history. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 88: 100-103.
- Fox CW, LA McLennan & TA Mousseau. 1995. Male body size affects female lifetime reproductive success in a seed beetle. Animal Behaviour 50: 281-284.
- Fox CW, KJ Waddell & TA Mousseau. 1995. Parental host plant affects offspring life histories in a seed beetle. Ecology 76: 402-411.
- Fox CW, KJ Waddell, KD White, SH Faeth &TA Mousseau. 1995. Suppression of leafminer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) populations on turkey oak (Fagaceae) using implants of acephate. Environmental Entomology 24: 1548-1556.
- Fox CW 1994. The influence of egg size on offspring performance in the seed beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus. Oikos 71: 321-325.
- Fox CW 1994. Maternal and genetic influences on egg size and larval performance in a seed beetle: Multigenerational transmission of a maternal effect? Heredity 73: 509-517.
- Fox CW & RL Caldwell. 1994. Host-associated fitness trade-offs do not limit the evolution of diet breadth in the small milkweed bug Lygaeus kalmii (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae). Oecologia 97: 382-389.
- Fox CW & H Dingle. 1994. Dietary mediation of maternal age effects on offspring performance in a seed beetle (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Functional Ecology 8: 600-606.
- Fox CW & DL Hickman. 1994. Influence of oviposition substrate on female receptivity to multiple mating in Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 87: 395-398.
- Fox CW & M Tatar. 1994. Oviposition substrate affects adult mortality, independent of reproduction, in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Ecological Entomology 19: 108-110.
- Fox CW, KJ Waddell & TA Mousseau. 1994. Host-associated fitness variation in a seed beetle (Coleoptera: Bruchidae): Evidence for local adaptation to a poor quality host. Oecologia 99: 329-336.
- Fox CW 1993. A quantitative genetic analysis of oviposition preference and larval performance on two hosts in the bruchid beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus. Evolution 47: 166-175.
- Fox CW 1993. Multiple mating, lifetime fecundity and female mortality of the bruchid beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Functional Ecology 7: 203-208.
- Fox CW 1993. The influence of maternal age and mating frequency on egg size and offspring performance in Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Oecologia 96: 139-146.
- Fox CW & RG Lalonde. 1993. Confusion of hosts and the evolution of insect diet breadths. Oikos 67: 577-581.
- Fox CW. 2010. All that I am, I owe to my mother. Review of: Maternal Effects in Mammals, edited by Dario Maestripieri and Jill M. Mateo. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25: 323-324. doi:10.1016/j.tree.2010.01.006
- Mousseau TA & CW Fox. 1994. Evolution of Life: Processes, Patterns, and Prospects, by Michael L. McKinney. Quarterly Review of Biology 69: 94-95.
- Savalli UM & CW Fox. 1996. Photograph of Stator limbatus on Acacia greggii seeds. Science 273: 1334.
- Savalli UM & CW Fox. 1996. Photograph demonstrating egg size plasticity in Stator limbatus. Science 273: 1334.