Athens/Cross Plains - founded as Cross Plains in 1783 by Samuel Todd and others who came in the wake of Daniel Boone. It was located in the intersection of Boonesboro Road and Cleveland Pike, site of the existing settlement of Athens. Cross Plains started as a religious community by erecting a Baptist Church in 1785 at the site now occupied by the Christian Church. The town of Athens was layed out as a village by surveyor Harvey Bledsoe in 1826. Several woolen factories were built in 1836. Because of frequent fires, manufacturing ended in Athens only a couple of years later. In 1840, Athens supported 300 residents, two taverns, several general stores, two distilleries within a mile of town, plus other shops. It became a place for large gatherings, for gambling, quarter racing on dirt roads, and chicken and dog fights. In 1971 the white population was 99% of the total. Avon - located at the intersection of the L&N Railroad tracks and Briar Hill Pike, in eastern Fayette County. Until recently, Avon didn't have a large enough concentration of buildings to be considered a settlement. The term "Avon", in the past, referred only to the farming area owned by the T.J. Weathers heirs. Their daughter and her husband, C.E.Gibson, subdivied their inherited land in 1956 creating "Avon Acres" where mainly whites live. Bracktown - located in the northwestern part of Fayette Co., was one of the many settlements subdivided after the Civil War. Before the Civil War, the land now know as Bracktown was owned by Fredrick Braxton, James H. Henderson and the Martin family. In 1887 Robert Stone subdivided the 21 acres into long narrow lots, and he named it "stonetown" after himself. He sold this land to African-Americans who were able to pay the $100/acre price. The southern pact of Bracktown was owned by Rev. Fredrick Braxton who was the first pastor of an African-American church at Main and Merino Street in Lexington -- and the inhabitants named their whole village after him, calling it Bracktown. Cadentown - a settlement in Fayette County east of Lexington established solely for the purpose of providing housing for the freed slaves after the Civil War. The farm which Samuel McKee owned, later residence of Capt. John Starks, Revolutionary War officer, was purhcased in 1867 by Owne Caden, a farmer born in Ireland in 1830. He came to the US in 1840 and his children settled in the area, subdividing the land of about 70 acres at the intersection of Liberty and Todds road. A 1971 Housing Report states that the one-room schoolhouse was still standing. Clays Ferry - Eli Cleveland, one of the early pioneers who obtained 740 acres of land between Boone Creek and theRichmond Pike in souther Fayette County founded a settlement called Cleveland in the 1780s. He built shipyards, warehouses and mills on the Kentucky River at the site which is now known as Clays Ferry. The settlement was populated only by Cleveland and his large numbers of slaves until is death in 1829. His will gave 624 acres to his sister Martha and her husband Bernard Franklin. Eli gave this sister all his estate because of her frequent assistance and good will. To his other six brothers and sisters he left fifty cents each. As the estate was handed down to subsequent generations it became thoroughly subdivided and now contains about 135 acres as a community, mostly of whites. Coletown - located on Walnut Hill Road opposite Shelby Lane in southern Fayette County, it was one of the few settlements created before the Civil War. In 1843 the will of Sarah Johnson stated that 10 acres of land on the Walnut Hill Pike shall be given to Milly Cole, an ex-slave of Sarah Johnson's brother. In 1868, upon the death of Milly Cole, the 10 acres were subdivided equally into three parts for her three children. At approximately the same time, other prominant families in the area were the Spencer Seals family, the Isaacs family, and the Tookey family. This 22 acre community contained only 30 people in 1971, and the racial mixture is 1/2 black and 1/2 white. Fort Springs - In 1826 Major Thomas Streshly, owner of large amount of land and many slaves, gave three slaves whom he emancipated, some land on the Woodford Road (Versailles Road). These freed men started the area known as "Reform". Slaves in the area used to slip away at night for jamborees at "Reform" and thus the name "Slickaway" was established. In 1882, Slickaway was a sizable community with a church and a school attended by the black population, the South Elkhorn Baptist Church (1859) and a school attended by the white population -- there were approx. 150 residents of Slickaway in 1882, twice as many blacks as there were whites. The name "Slickaway" lasted until 1890 when a prominent resident of the area grew tired of going to Pisgah (two miles away in Woodford County) and had the Fort Springs Post Office created. He named it for the Old Stone Tavern of Lewis O'Neal, built in 1826. It has a large spring which runs under the structure. During the Civil War, the tavern was transformed into a headquarters or "fort", thus bringing about the name. Jimtown - Jacob Sidener, Sr. (b. 1788) was the first of the Sidener family to reside in the area. Sidener worked a 20 acre farm in Fayette County for three years to make enough money to buy a 400 acre farm at the site now called Jimtown. He paid $3 an acre for this land covered with trees. He began to accumulate other property until he had built up an estate of 1,400 acres. He gave 1/2 of his estate to be divided up among his 11 children. One of his sons was Jacob Sidener, Jr. (1824-91) who resided on a 190 acre farm called "Uniondale." James Sidener, the unmarried son of Jacob Sidener, Jr. was the founder of Jimtown. In 1888 he sold to freed slaves plots of land (around 34 acres total now) at about $80 per acre to start the settlement which bears his name, located on the Greewich Pike and south of Hume Bedford Pike. Jonestown - formally Jonesboro, located south of Lexington off Tates Creek Road. In 1817 Samuel S. Wilson bought his farm which, after the Civil War, he began to subdivide. In 1883 he sold nearly 50 acres to Thomas Jones who subdivided it into lots in 1893 -- the original plat for the Jones Subdivision is in the Fayette County Courthouse. It is a totally African-American community of 46 acres. Little Georgetown - located on the south side of Parkers Mill Road in western Fayette County in the area of the large land holdings of the Parker and Waltz families. In the first half of the 19th century this area belonged to George Waltz who game some of his 200 acres to several African- Americans who built their homes there and called it after him -- they had to add on the "Little" because there was already a "Georgetown" in Kentucky. In the early 20th century, Little Georgetown had a school house operated by the Fayette County School system. Today around 90 people live in the mostly black community which covers 34 acres on the south side of Parker's Mill Road. Little Texas- located in the western part of Fayette County at the corner of Military Pike and Ft. Springs-Pincard Lane. It was established in the early 18th century as one of the few all white rural communities. The area of Shannondale, as it was called when it was founded, was established by several families, such as William H. Davis, J.H. Lushy, Joseph Carter and others. They had a baseball team which traveled to play other teams in a covered wagon. It is said that this produced the nickname "Texas" for the Shannondale residents. The names were used interchangeably up to the 1930s. It covers about 17 acres. Loradale - a village in northern Fayette County on the Russell Cave Road, it has developed mostly during the 20th century. Originally owned by Jacob Sidener, Sr. and his heirs (as was Jimtown), it was sold and then subdivided in 1904 by the Huffman family. The Old Union Church in Loradale was first built in 1823, rebuilt in 1875, and again in 127. It is a mainly white community of 90 covering roughly 110 areas, but most of that is farm land. Maddoxtown - Samuel Maddox was born in Maryland in 1817, and upon oving to Ky. he married a girl from Scott Co. and lived there most of his life as a farmer. In 1871, he subdivided part of his farm on Huffman Hill Road and sold lots to freed slaves. In 1879 he sold off larger tracts of land of approximately 10 acres for an average of $80 per acre. In Maddoxtown these larger tracts were subdivided into smaller lots inthe early 20th century. It supported its own school which was held in the church erected in 1875. There are about 44 acres today (of which about 20 acres are used for farming) for 98 people of whom 75% are African-American. Pricetown-Nihizertown-Centerville - these three communities are located close together in the Todds Road and Cleveland Pike area in eastern Fayette County. All three were created around the same time after the Civil War for the development of housing for emancipated slaves. Willis Price was heir to land left to him by other members of the Price family who came to Fayette Co. soon after Daniel Boone. Dr. Sanford Price, son of Willis Price, subdivided some of this land to form the settlemtn of Pricetown. At the same time, John Nihizer was in the process of subdividing his land into two acre lots which he sold for $80-$100 per acre. The combined population of the 3 areas is approximately 105 people of whom 2/3 are black, and the combined acreage is about 77. Spears - formally Spearsville, this settlement on the Tates Creek Pike, split by the Jessamine- Fayette Co. line, was settled in the late 18th century by John L. Spears from Virginia. He attracted other settlers because of his education and skill as a surveyor and school teacher. It covers about 15 acres and was settled by whites. Uttingertown-Columbus - these two towns are located off of Royster Road just north of Winchester Road, and both were created for the increased population of freed slaves after the Civil War. In 1869 Samuel L. Uttinger sold several 2 acre lots for about $100 per acre. He later mysteriously disappeared and was declared dead. Next to Uttingertown is Columbiatown, known now as Columbus. Clarence H. Crimm subdivided his land in 1893 and began to sell lots at $100 per acre, and chose the name for the Columbian Exposition which had just closed in Chicago. The combined population of all blacks is around 90. Willa Lane - located east of Lexingtonand south of Avon on the Haley Pike, it was a farming area before 1920 owned by J. Madison Jackson and his wife Kitty. After her husband's death, Kitty Jackson subdivided her 415 acres into large lots. A man by the name of Goodpaster bought two of these lots totally 103 acres and in 1920 he subdivided them into aproximately 5 acre lots. In 1924 Willa B. Stevenson bought Goodpaster's land and sold it to the blacks who settled there. There are around 43 people in the community, covering about 45 acres of land (28 of which is farmland). From the 1971 Housing Report of the City-County Planning Commission. More information can be found in the Ky. Room, Central Lex. Public Library.