Daniel Boone established this stockaded station or homestead in 1779 after being found innocent in the treason trial at Boonesborough. It is said that he lived here with his family for several years, but certainly he resided there as much as resided at any homestead -- not for very long. This station is not to be confused with Boone's Station (now Booneville) set up in 1780-81 and where he also owned land in what came to be Owsley County. Nor is it to be confused with the earlier Boone Station Camp (West Irvine in Estill County) where in 1769 he, his younger brother, Squire, and Joseph Procter set up camp near an Indian Trading Post called "Ah-wah-nee" by the Shawnees who hunted there and got their lead supply there.
At some point he had surveyed and patented 400 acres on Boofman's Fork of Boone's Creek in the name of his son, Daniel M. Boone Jr. He settled there with his family on December 26, 1779, and with the family of William Scholl. They were soon joined by other families, including his brothers Edward and Samuel Boone. According to the Draper Papers, (mss. 23C104) they built "half- faced camps made of boards and forked sticks" and lived on "buffalo, bear, deer and turkeys -- all very lean and poor." It wasn't until March that they could build cabins in a stockade with port holes. One source said that the station was never attacked, but Edward was killed while he and Daniel were hunting. E.B. Scholl, grandson of Daniel Boone's cousin, William Scholl tells the story, "Perticulars of E Boons Death" which can be found in the Draper Papers (mss. 23C104). Edward left behind his widow and five children.
According to the historical marker, several family members were buried here. One of them is Samuel Boone, Daniel's eldest brother. He was born in Pennsylvania on May 20, 1728. He came to Kentucky from South Carolina in 1779 with his family and settled Boone's Station. He joined in defense of Bryan's Station in 1782 during what came to be known as "The Year of Blood." He died here in 1816 at the age of 88.
There are four small, rustic gravestones at the site. A larger monument was erected by the Capt. John Waller Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and descendants of the Boone Family on June 10, 1967. This monument lists the following deceased:
This historical site is located on Gentry Road near Athens, Kentucky (about 5 miles out from Lexington). It consists of an enclosed area (a fenced-in field) where the monument and grave stones are located. Unfortunately no archeological data supports the exact location of this station (see p. 178 of "Stockading Up: A Study of Pioneer Stations in the Inner Bluegrass Region of Kentucky," Archaeological Report 127 by Nancy O'Malley for the Kentucky Heritage Council). This is in a very pretty, serene spot in Fayette Co. and ideal place for a picnic or a place for some quiet time out in the country.
by Leathea Brown, HIS108, February 28, 1997
|Return to Main Menu|