PART I. Multiple choice. Choose the BEST answer to each question.
1) Organizing the database in computer disk storage is done in the _____ phase.
A) logical design
E) physical design
2) Subtypes should be used when
A) there are attributes that apply to some, but not all instances of an entity type.
B) supertypes relate to objects outside the business.
C) the instances of a subtype participate in a relationship that is unique to that subtype.
D) A and B
E) A and C
3) According to the following diagram, which statement(s) is/are CORRECT?
A) Each employee can supervise 1 to many employees.
B) Each employee can manage many departments.
C) Each employee works in one department.
D) A and B
E) A and C
4) Disadvantages of file processing systems include
A) reduced data duplication.
B) program-data dependence.
C) limited data sharing.
D) B and C.
E) A and B.
5) Which of the following is an entity type on which a strong entity depends?
E) none of the above.
6) Which of the following criteria should be considered when selecting an identifier?
A) Choose an identifier that is stable.
B) Choose an identifier that will not be null.
C) Choose an identifier that doesn't have large composite identifiers.
D) all of the above.
E) A and B only.
7) Database access frequencies are estimated from
A) transaction volumes.
B) user logins.
C) security violations.
D) A and B.
E) B and C.
8) Which of the following is/are true of poor data and/or database administration?
A) data timing problems
B) multiple entity definitions
C) unknown meanings of stored data
D) inefficient space usage
E) all of the above
9) An audit trail of database changes is kept by a(n)
A) change control device.
C) before image.
D) journaling facility.
10) The analysis of summarized data to support decision making is called
A) operational processing.
B) information processing.
C) artificial intelligence.
D) data scrubbing.
E) data cleansing.
PART II. Define the following terms.
1. Conceptual design
2. Data independence
PART III. Written question.
Many employees can work on a project.
An employee can work on many projects.
A project requires many skills.
An employee has multiple skills.
In other words, an m:m relationship exists between EMPLOYEE and PROJECT, EMPLOYEE and SKILL, as well as PROJECT and SKILL. Design tables in 5NF, with explanation, for each of the following situations:
a) An employee must have all the required skills needed for a project to work on that project.
An employee applies his/her skills to work on a certain project.