FOR 350 - Silviculture
Dr. John M. Lhotka
University of Kentucky - Department of Forestry
is the art and science of controlling the establishment, composition, structure, and
growth of a forest stand to meet the landowners’ objectives on a sustainable basis.
Definitions and Terminology
- Silviculture terminology with appendix of draft ecosystem management terms
- Stand description – concepts and definitions
- The Practice of Silviculture, Smith 1986
Response of Individual Trees to Thinning and Pruning (ch.2)
of Regeneration (ch.7)
- Oak Forest
Ecosystems, McShea 2003
Ecological Basis for Oak Silviculture in Eastern
North America (ch.5)
- Timber Management: A Quantitative Approach,
Clutter et al. 1983
Stock and Stand Density (ch.3)
in the Central Hardwood Region
Handbook for Oaks in the North Central States (Sander)
- Technical Guide
to Crop Tree Release in Hardwood Forests (Miller
- Upland Oak
Regeneration and Management (Loftis)
- Central Hardwood Notes, USDA Forest Service (website)
- Professional Hardwood Notes
Figures from Silviculture Texts (link)
Bibliography for selected figures and tables
- Clutter, J.L.,
J.C. Fortson, L.V. Pienaar, G.H. Brister, and R.L. Bailey. 1983. Timber
management: A quantitative approach. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Davis, L.S., K.N.
Johnson, P. Bettinger, and T.E. Howard. 2001. Forest
Management. Waveland Press, Long Grove, IL. 804 p.
- Hicks, R.R., Jr.
1998. Ecology and management of Central Hardwood forests. John Wiley
and Sons, Inc., New York, NY.
- Johnson, P.S.,
S.R. Shifley, and R. Rogers. 2002. The Ecology and Silviculture of Oaks.
- McShea, W.J., and
W.M. Healy (eds.). 2003. Oak Forest
Ecosystems: Ecology and Management for Wildlife. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore,
- Nyland, R.D. 2002.
Silviculture: Concepts and applications. McGraw Hill, Boston,
- Schnur, G.L. 1937.
Yield, stand, and volume tables for even-aged upland oak forests. US
Department of Agriculture, Technical Bulletin No. 560. 87 p.
- Smith, D.M. 1986.
The Practice of Silviculture. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York,
- Smith, D.M., B.C.
Larson, M.J. Kelty, and M.S. Ashton. 1997. The Practice of
Silviculture: Applied Forest
Ecology. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, NY.
- Tappeiner, J.C.,
D.A. Maguire, and T.B. Harrington. 2007. Silviculture and Ecology of Western U.S. Forests. Oregon State University Press, Corvallis,
Back To Top
- Variable point sampling
- Common basal area factors (BAF)
- Site index curves for the Central Hardwood Region
- Stocking chart for upland hardwoods (Gingrich 1967) (pdf) (website)
- Stand Density Index (SDI)
- More forest measurements resources available on FOR 480 couse website