THE MSW @ UK:
Students are drawn to the MSW because of the versatility of the degree. The MSW @ UK sets you up to be successful in your chosen area of the profession. Candidates pursue their passion in areas from clinical practice with adolescents to non-profit development in rural communities, or something in between.
Cost per credit: $693
Cost per credit: $685
Career Opportunities in Social Work
YOU can make a difference!
- Child Welfare
- Community Outreach
- Criminal Justice
- Developmental Disabilities
- Education and Schools
- Foster Care
- Gerontology and Aging
- Immigrants and Refugees
- International Social Work
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Medical Social Worker
- Mental Health Case Worker
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Public Health Outreach
- School Social Work
- Substance Abuse
- Public Policy
- Veterans and Military Families
At UK we believe in helping each student find the right pathway to professional success. Our highly dedicated faculty and staff are here to challenge and inspire, guide and assist you throughout your graduate student career. We are committed to your success, both as students in our Master in Social Work program and as professional social work practitioners in whatever arena you may choose to practice.
Discover how the online Master of Social Work (MSW) from the University of Kentucky can set you up for success. Request more information or speak with one of our Admissions Counselors at (833) 358-1721.
The uniqueness of social work’s commitment to understanding the interface between the individual and his/her/their environment means that your course of study will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and competencies you need to be a change agent in your chosen area of practice.
Please note that the admission procedures are the same for both 60-Hour MSW degree program and the advanced standing.
You will be asked to upload copies of transcripts from all higher education institutions attended and, in the case of domestic students, to self-report cumulative GPA’s for each institution. If you are offered admission and decide to enroll you will then be required to submit official transcripts to the Graduate School.
Letters of Recommendation:
The MSW Program at the University of Kentucky requires applicants to provide three references. These references must be obtained from individuals in the following categories:
• Social Work Professor
• Professional Social Worker/Field Instructor
• Work or Volunteer Supervisor
Please exclude personal, pastoral and relative references. If you graduated within the past 5 years you must provide at least one academic reference. As part of the online application you will be asked to supply email contact information for your three references.
Writing Sample (uploaded electronic document)
In 250 words or less, describe an ethical dilemma you encountered in either your professional or personal past. Identify and define the ethical problem, the parties involved, the values you relied upon to make your decisions, and how the dilemma was resolved. Explain how the outcome has affected you and any lessons you learned.
Personal Statement Autobiography (uploaded electronic document)
Your autobiography should be approximately four pages in length, double-spaced, and the following topics must be addressed within the narrative:
- Motivation for social service, social work education, and a career in the profession: State your reasons for wanting to pursue an MSW degree. Why are you applying to the University of Kentucky College Of Social Work? What are your social service interests and career goals?
- Personal life experiences and relevant events: Briefly describe your personal history as it relates to your interest in the profession of social work. What do you consider to be your particular strengths, skills and abilities that will contribute to your success in this field?
- Capacities for professional social work education: Briefly describe your professional, volunteer and/or educational history as it relates to your capacity for success in graduate study in the field of social work. What characteristics, circumstances, or challenges could serve to enhance or limit your capacity to pursue graduate level education in the field of social work?
Personal Resumé (uploaded electronic document)
Please list in resumé format your work and volunteer experience.
No GRE or GMAT is required for admission to this program.
Access the Graduate School Application here.
State Authorization & Licensure
If you plan to complete a University of Kentucky online program while living outside of Kentucky, you should check the Out-of-State Students page to determine if the University of Kentucky is authorized to provide this program in your state of residence. If you plan to use the degree to seek licensure, you should also determine if the degree meets the educational requirements for licensure in your state.