Blackboard Known Issues
The following page is the set of known errors in Blackboard Learn. Some of these problems have workarounds or solutions, which we have listed below. If you do not see the error that you are getting and you would like to report one or ask for help, contact the UKIT Service Desk at 218-HELP (4357) or email email@example.com.
Blackboard & Adobe Connect Login Issue - April 17, 2014
On April 17th, from 9:30 am-10:30 am, many faculty, staff and students experienced difficulty when attempting to log into Blackboard and Adobe Connect. This difficulty was due to a server’s failure to authenticate user IDs and passwords. Our technicians worked quickly to resolve the problem and service was restored. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Service Interruption - April 14, 2014 Update
The Blackboard Learn system experienced an unplanned outage on Monday April 14 from 11:00 AM - 1:45 PM. The outage was caused by a corrupted file which disrupted communication between our application servers. Our support technicians worked with Blackboard support to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.
UKAT will apply a fix during regularly scheduled Blackboard maintenance on Sunday, April 20, 2014 that should prevent future issues.
Some students are receiving the error message “Sorry, we do not think you are logged into SafeAssign. Your session may have timed out. If you have received this message in error, please contact your system administrator” when they attempt to submit an assignment. (Updated: March 10, 2014)
Workaround: How to fix this error differs depending on the browser you are using to access Blackboard.
- Open Safari
- Click on Safari in the upper left corner of your screen
- Click Properties
- For Safari 5 and earlier, click Security and change the Accept Cookies setting to Always
- For Safari 5.1 and later go to The Privacy tab and change Block cookies and other website data to Never
Internet Explorer 9 and later
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the gear symbol in the upper right corner of the screen
- Click the Privacy tab
- Click the Advanced button
- Select the option Override automatic cookie handling
- Under First-party Cookies, select Accept or Prompt
- Under Third-party Cookies, select Accept and Prompt (Selecting prompt means that each time a website tries to send you a cookie, you will be asked if you would like to accept it or not)
- Click OK
- Open Firefox
- Click on Firefox in the upper left corner of your screen
- Click Options
- Click on the Privacy tab
- Under History, to the right of Firefox will: select Use custom settings for history from the drop-down menu
- Make sure that Accept cookies from sites is checked
- Select Always from the drop down menu to the right of Accept third-party cookies
- Click OK
- Open Chrome
- Click the menu icom in the upper right portion of Chrome, and select Settings
- At the bottom of page, click Show advanced settings
- Click the Content settings button
- Under Cookies, ensure Allow local data is not checked
- Click Done on the lower right side
- Restart Chrome in order for the changes to take effect
Grade Center column for deleted SafeAssign assignments are not removed from the Grade Center. (Updated: Feb. 14, 2014)
If a SafeAssign assignment is deleted, the corresponding column in the instructor’s Grade Center is not deleted from the grade center.
Workaround: The instructor must delete the column in the Grade Center manually.
Sending email to large number of users (100+) may result in error: HTTP Error 404.15 - Not Found. The request filtering module is configured to deny a request where the query string is too long. (Verified: Feb. 11, 2014)
If you see this error after sending an email, the email has been sent, and you should receive your copy as usual. The problem is that with the large number of users, the URL is too long to display the "success" message to the sender.
Courses that are unavailable to students based on dates appear on the Course List module. (Verified: Mar. 14, 2014)
Workaround: Currently there is no workaround for students. Instructors can change the available option from date restricted to No.