Getting Access to SAS
This webpage explains how to download, intall, and update SAS software. If you need additional help, please contact the UKIT Service Desk at 859-218-4357(HELP) or email@example.com.
- Licensing - Renewing your license and obtaining the license codes.
- Registration - Updating your license with or without downloading the software update.
- Downloading - Downloading and installing the latest version of SAS.
About License Renewal
As of August 2012, SAS software has entered a new license year. If you have not used this software before, or have used it prior to August 2012 and wish to continue using it, you may (re-)register at any time to receive your license renewal codes via email. There is no deadline for registration and the service is available year round.
Note: We ask that our SAS 9.1 and 9.2 users please upgrade to SAS 9.3 at this time. The newest maintenance version, SAS 9.3 M2, is now available at download.uky.edu.)
If you have any difficulty following these instructions, please contact the UKIT Service Desk at 859-218-4357(HELP) or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Instructions below contain images.)
Obtaining License (Renewal) Codes
- Search for SAS to find the respective software download entry.
- Click the link labeled “Users must register annually to obtain the license information. Click here.”
- Do not download the software until you complete the registration. You will receive instructions via email for the download and unzipping process.
- Complete the registration form. If your email address was submitted correctly, you will receive an email with licensing instructions.
If you wish to download SAS 9.3 M2, download the software pieces as specified in the email you received. If, however, you have version 9.3, and do not wish to update to 9.3 M2 (maintenance update), you may skip this step. The license file you will receive is backward compatible with prior versions of SAS 9.3. See the end of your registration email for instructions on how to update the license.
Note: All of the following information is also contained in the email sent to you with your license code. The attached license file is for you alone (Do not share license files).
Registering Your Download
When prompted for a license file from SAS, please click on the file link provided to you in the body of the email (this will be the 32-bit license; see the bottom of your email for the 64-bit license). Then, click open and drag the license file that appears in the pop-up window to your desktop. Follow the SAS download and installation instructions, and locate this newly downloaded file when prompted for the license.
Please contact the UKIT Service Desk with any questions; by phone: (859)218-HELP, or email: email@example.com.
- Navigate to Start-> All Programs -> SAS -> Utilities -> Renew SAS Software.
- Browse to the license file you downloaded.
- Click Next and Next and Renew.
Note: All of the following information is also contained in the email sent to you with your license code.
- Download all 7 pieces of SAS and place the files on your desktop. Depending on your browser, you may or may not be able to queue downloads from this site. If necessary, start the next piece after the prior piece finishes.
- Download and install 7-zip from www.7-zip.org.
- Restart your machine.
- Right click on the SAS 9.3 TS1 M2 32bit.zip.001 file on your desktop, place your cursor on 7-zip, then left click on open archive.
- This will open a 7-zip window that displays the SAS 9.3 folder. Please drag this folder from the 7-zip application to your desktop. (This process may take between 10-20 minutes)
- Double click on the new SAS 9.3 folder on your desktop.
Before you install SAS 9.3 you must update your Java runtime environment:
- Go to Start, Control Panel
- In XP Select “Classic View”, In Vista or Windows 7, select “Small Icons”. Click on the Java icon in the list
- Click on the Update tab
- Click on the Update Now button and follow the prompts. When updating is finished you can close all Control Panel Windows
IF you can’t find Java listed in the control panel, it probably hasn’t been installed. You will need to go to the following Web link to download and install the latest version:
- Double click on the setup file in the SAS folder on your desktop.
- If prompted to Run or Save the file, click Run. (Welcome screen appears.)
- A choose your language box appears. Click Ok.
- Under the SAS Deployment Task box, choose Install SAS software. Click Next.
- Under 'Select Deployment Type', choose 'Install SAS Foundation and Related Software'.
- Under 'Select Product to Install', there should be 10 products already checked. Please check SAS Power and Sample Size, as well as any other additional software you desire and click Next.
- Select the SAS foundation products you would like to install and click next.
- Under 'Specify SAS Installation Data File', browse to the license file you received after filling out the online registration form.
- Under 'Select Language Support', select your desired languages and click Next.
- Under Select Java Runtime Environment leave “Use the recommended Java Runtime Environment” selected, then click next.
- Under Specify SAS Document Conversion Host and Port leave the two boxes with the default text alone, click next.
- Sas will now check your system. At the end of this check, please click next.
- Under 'Deployment Summary, click Start.
- This starts the Systems Requirements Wizard. This may have you download some files, or reboot your computer. Follow all directions from the Wizard. If it has you reboot, SAS may give you a link to paste back into your browser after rebooting. However, it will generally pick up from where it left off without requiring this link. Click Next.
- Under Select Support Option, decide whether or not to send install information back to SAS, Click Next.
- Click Finish once the installation is complete. (This may take up to an hour depending on your network speed.)
- Once the program is completed it is important that your reboot your system to complete the installation. Close all your programs and reboot your computer.