VPN for Mac OS X 10.4/10.5
The instructions on this page apply to users with Macintosh OS X 10.4 and 10.5 systems.
Users with Macintosh OS X 10.6 or later should follow these instructions instead.
To create and configure a connection to UK's virtual private network (VPN), follow the steps below.
This tutorial requires that you have administrative access to your computer.
Download the Cisco VPN Client
- The Cisco VPN client is available from the UK download server.
- In the Login box, enter your link blue userID and password, then click Login. The Login box will display a welcome message when you have successfully logged in.
- In the Search field in the center of the page, type "Cisco".
- Locate the "Cisco VPN Client for Mac OS X 10.4 and Higher" and click the blue Download icon beside it.
- The UKCiscoVPN4.9.01.0080.dmg file will be downloaded to your computer. If prompted, select a download location for the file.
- Once the archived installation file has completed downloading, it will automatically expand into the Cisco VPN installation file.
Install the VPN Client
- Locate the downloaded Cisco VPN installation file and double-click on it to run the installer.
- When prompted, enter the userID and password of a user with administrative priviledges.
- You will be prompted with the installer's Introduction screen. Click Next to continue.
- You will be prompted for a location to install the VPN GUI application. Use the default install location and click Next.
- You will be prompted for a location for the VPN command line utilities. Use the default setting and click Next.
- You will be prompted for locations to create aliases used to activate the VPN Client. Choose the location for your aliases, or choose not to create them, and click Next to continue.
- The installer will list a summary of your choices. Review them and click the Install button to install the VPN Client.
- The installer will now install the VPN client to your computer, which may take several minutes. When it is finished, the Install Complete information will be displayed.
- Click on the Done button to close the installer.
- If prompted, reboot your computer.
Configure the VPN Client
- Launch the VPN Client application. It will be located in the directory that was specified in the installation process. You may be able to use an alias that was created during the installation process.
- The VPN Client application will appear. To establish your VPN connection to the UK Network, you may need to create a new Connection Entry.
- Click on the New button in the application toolbar to create a new entry.
- The Create New VPN Connection Entry window will appear. In the window, enter the following:
- Connection Entry: UK
- Description: University of Kentucky VPN
- Host: 126.96.36.199
- Ensure that Group Authentication is selected under the Authentication tab. Within the Group Authentication information, enter the following:
- Name: ukyedu
- Password: ukyedu
- Confirm Password: ukyedu
- Click Save to save your connection entry settings and complete the setup process.
Starting a VPN Connection to the UK Network
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet, and that the VPN Client is open.
- Select the UK connection entry by clicking on the entry, and then click on the Connect button.
- When prompted, enter your link blue userID and password to authenticate. Click OK to continue.
- If successful, you will see a message confirming your connection to ukyedu. Click Continue.
- You will return to the VPN Client window. The VPN Client window should remain open while you are using the VPN connection, but may be minimized.
Closing a VPN Connection to the UK Network
- Select the VPN client window.
- To stop the VPN session, click on the Disconnect button in the application window toolbar.
- When the session has ended, you may close the VPN client.