VPN for Windows Vista and Windows 7
The instructions on this page apply to users with Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems. The 32-bit client may also work with computers running Windows XP.
To create and configure a connection to UK's virtual private network (VPN), follow the steps below.
This tutorial requires administrative access to the computer.
Downloadable video instructions are also available on iTunes U.
Download the Cisco VPN Client
- The Cisco VPN client is available from the UK download server.
- In the Login box, enter your link blue userID and password, then click Login. The Login box will display a welcome message when you have successfully logged in.
- In the Search field in the center of the page, type "Cisco".
- Locate the "Cisco VPN Client for Windows" installers and click the blue Download icon beside the version (32-bit or 64-bit) that matches your system. If you need to find out what system you have:
- Click on the Windows Start button
- Select Control Panel
- Double-click on System
- Your computer's operating system is listed under "System Type."
- The VPNClient.exe file will be downloaded to your computer. If prompted, select a download location for the file.
- Once the installation file has completed downloading, double-click the file to begin installation.
Install the VPN Client
Note: During installation, the Windows operating system might give extraneous driver warnings. For further error details, see Possible Installation Errors.
- Locate the downloaded VPNClient.exe file and double-click on it to run the installer.
- Click the "Setup" button to start the installation process.
- Click Next to view the software license agreement. Accept the agreement and click Next.
- You will be prompted for a location to install the VPN GUI application. Use the default install location and click Next.
- The installer will now install the VPN client to your computer, which may take several minutes. Should you run into an error, click the "Continue Anyway" button to continue installation.
- When it is finished, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Choose Restart Now and wait for your computer to reboot.
Starting a VPN Connection to the UK Network
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet.
- Click the Windows Start button, select Programs, Cisco Systems VPN Client, and then the "VPN Client" application.
- When the VPN client application launches, a connection to the UK network will be available.
- Select the UK connection entry by clicking on the entry, and then click the Connect button.
- When prompted, enter your link blue userID and password to authenticate. Click OK to continue.
- If successful, the window will automatically minimize and appear in the Windows toolbar as a small yellow padlock. You can click this padlock to reopen the VPN Client window. The connection status and connection time counter are displayed at the bottom of the window
Closing a VPN Connection to the UK Network
- Click the yellow padlock icon in the Windows toolbar to reopen the VPN client window.
- To stop the VPN session, click on the Disconnect button in the application window toolbar.
- When the session has ended, you may close the VPN client.
- You may be prompted that during the install process, extraneous driver warnings will occur if the Windows Driver Signing Options are not set to Ignore. To continue with the installation, click Yes.
- You may be prompted that installation cannot proceed unless the Windows IPSec Policy Agent is disabled. To disable the Policy Agent and continue the installation process, click Yes.
- You may receive a hardware error during installation. You must click "Continue Anyway" to continue installation. This is not an actual problem with your Windows system or the installer.
- If you experience other installation errors, please contact the UKIT Service Desk for assistance.