UK Advising Network Professional Development Events
UK Advising Network Professional Development Events - 2020
Tuesday, February 4, 2020- 12:00-1:00pm- Conference Proposal Review Session (location TBD)
Bring your conference proposal (NACADA or other conference) and have it reviewed by one of our Advising Network reviewers. These reviewers have experience writing and reviewing proposals and will be on hand to share their advice and feedback as they review your proposal. Remember the deadline to submit for the Annual NACADA Conference (held in San Juan, Puerto Rico) is Feb. 20th.
UK Advising Network Professional Development Events - Fall 2019
September 26, 2019
Canvas as an advising tool 12-1 pm (Lucille Little FIne Arts Library room 303)
Bring your lunch and join us on Thursday, September 26th from 12-1 pm (location TBD) for our first lunch and learn of the year. The College of Communication and Information launched a pilot Canvas program in Fall 2018 for its incoming freshman class. A year later, and after several modifications, the CI advising team is using Canvas as a tool to provide information and communicate with all of their students. Hear from two advisors who were instrumental in creating content and administering the main CI Advising Canvas shell and managing the flow of content into individual advisor shells.
October 20-23, 2019
Kentucky International Convention Center
Friday, October 4, 2019 12-1 pm
Practice Session- NACADA Presentation (B&E Classroom 233)
Bring your lunch and join us on Friday, October 4th from 12-1 pm (location TBD) as Kayla Powell, Britt Frye, and Francesca Yackso practice their presentation “Reframing Honors Advising: Building Learning Partnerships that Promote Integrative Learning.” With the founding of the University of Kentucky's new Lewis Honors College and associated new curriculum, an altered advising approach was needed. This discussion will highlight the integrative learning approach our advisors utilize to build partnering relationships and assist students in building not only an academically rigorous but also highly engaging path of study. As secondary Honors advisors, we spend our time guiding students through crafting an individualized curriculum. This discussion will highlight our work with students as learning partners to help them find value and meaning in an Honors education by assisting in identifying honors pathways in which students can connect their knowledge and skills across broad and specialized study over time.
Monday, October 28, 2019 11:30 am- 1 pm
Work Session- Conference Presentations (B&E Conference Room 435UV)
Bring your lunch and join us on Monday, October 28th from 11:30 am -1 pm (location TBD) for a conference presentation work session. Whether you just recently identified a presentation topic, have already started writing your proposal, or know you want to present but don’t know where to start, this session can help. We will share tips for developing a winning proposal, help unleash your creativity, and provide feedback for existing ideas.
NOVEMBER 2019 (Alzheimer’s Prevention Month)
- Wed., Nov. 6th, Elder Care Walking Group, 12:00 p.m., meet outside at the Boone Center front entrance
- Fri., Nov. 8thSenior Caregiving Conference (workshop and resource fair), Boone Center, 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Tues., Nov. 12th UK Working Parents Brown Bag & Virtual mtg., 12- 1p.m., Gatton College of B&E, room 330
- Thurs., Nov. 14thWell-Being Web Series “Managing Grief During the Holidays,” by Ann, 12:15 p.m.
- Wed., Nov. 20thWorking Parents Lunch Bunch, Champions Kitchen, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. meet near register, No RSVP. Join us.
- Thurs., Nov. 21stImagine U: Self-care series “Gratitude & Graduation” 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 435UV Gatton College of B&E
- Thurs., Dec., 5thThe Gift of Self-Care for Caregivers, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 220 Scovell Hall, suite 2
- Mon., Dec. 16thWorking Parents Lunch Bunch, Champions Kitchen, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. meet near register, No RVSP. Join us.
- Tues., Dec. 10th UK Working Parents Brown Bag & Virtual mtg., 12:00-1:00 p.m., Gatton College of B&E, room 330