Energy Efficiency Tools
Tools provided by the NRCS designed to help reduce energy cost or employ renewable energy resources. Tools cover operations from grain drying to livestock to biomass and many others.
The NRCS has developed several energy tools to help farmers understand where they are using energy and where they might be able to cut back on that energy usage. Specific tools cover Animal Housing, Irrigation, Nitrogen, and Tillage.
Cheaper to switch from electricity to natural gas? Use the BAE fuel price equivalency calculator to help guide you in the right direction for comparing many different fuels.
- USDA NRCS Energy Self Assessment Tools
- USDA NRCS Energy Consumption Awareness Tools
- Fuel Price Equivalency Calculator
- Grain Shrink Factor Calculator
- Seed Cost Calculator: Download spreadsheet.
- Grain Drying Fuel Cost Comparison - LP vs Natural Gas (xls)
- Cost of Harvest Losses vs. Heated Air Drying (xls)
- Equilibrium Moisture Content for Grains
- Grain Storage Capacity of Various Structures
Thinking about changing out those incandescents or to dimmable CFL's? Use the Poultry Light Savings Worksheet to estimate savings.
Virtural Grower Virtual Grower is a decision support tool from the USDA-ARS designed to help producers evaluate greenhouse building design, upgrades, and heating schedules. (Download is required)
- Farm Shop Insulation Savings Calculator Adding insulation to buildings is one of the most beneficial energy savings techniques. This tool helps you estimate the energy savings you can expect by adding insulation, giving you better insight into how much that project might actually pay back!