Student Professional Development Grants
CGPDI welcomes applications from UK graduate and professional students to be considered as a recipient of the 2020-2021 Student Professional Development Grants. These awards are intended to encourage student professional development and networking through attendance or active participation at academic or professional meetings or conferences and study abroad opportunities by helping students defray the costs associated with these activities. Because of the university's social distancing and travel restrictions, grants for the 20-21 school year can only be applied to virtual professional development opportunities.
- Students are eligible for up to $750 in grant awards per academic year.
- Students may submit multiple grant requests, however each grant request must be a separate application.
- Funding is limited and grants will be awarded on a competitive basis.
- PD Fund award recipients will be recognized, and are expected to present on their professional development experiences at, the Graduate Diversity Honors Reception on Friday April 23rd.
- Requests must fall in line with the mission of CGPDI
The Center for Graduate and Professional Diversity Initiatives (CGPDI) is committed to supporting an inclusive community of scholars through the recruitment and retention of underrepresented and other historically marginalized students. CGPDI supports the university's diversity and inclusivity efforts by promoting community, academic excellence, and professional development in graduate and professional programs.
Applications and all supporting documents should be submitted by midnight on:
- Monday May 31st, 2021
You must be a current UK graduate or professional student. The PD fund will support student participation in a virtual meeting or conference of a professional association and opportunities related to his/her career objective or field of study. Participation can include presentation of scholarly work or active participation in a poster session, annual conference, or career expo. If there is a professional development opportunity you are interested in applying for, but don’t specifically see listed here, please contact our office for more information. Individuals are eligible for up to $750 in grant funds per year unless additional funds become available. If so, students may apply to be eligible to receive additional funding.
Grants are awarded on a competitive basis.
Expenses that may be covered by the fund include but are not limited to:
- Association membership at the student rate (when used in conjunction with conference participation)
- Conference fees (will only cover early bird rate where available)
- Presentation materials
Expenses that are not covered by professional development funds include but are not limited to:
- Food while traveling
- Registration fees beyond the early bird rate
PD Grant Recipients will be expected to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Timeliness. Conference fees, association memberships, materials, and travel expenses will be pre-paid by CGPDI.
- Awarded grant money must be used by June 30th of the fiscal year for the award.
- Submit a report (approx. 500 words) reflecting on the experience, 3-4 photos of themselves engaged in the grant activity (videos may also be submitted) - due within two weeks of experience
- A complete accounting of expenses, with itemized receipts - due within two weeks of experience
- PD Fund award recipients will be recognized, and are expected to present on their professional development experiences at, the Graduate Diversity Honors Reception on Friday March 27th.