With an increasingly complex and dynamic health care system in the United States and an aging population, the need is growing for an informed group of health advocates who are qualified to advise patients and their families about health care issues, learn about the health insurance industry as well as the key provisions of healthcare legislation. Health Advocates, also referred to as Patient Navigators, are very much in demand. The minor in Health Advocacy educates students to serve as patient advocates to improve health and health care and help patients access an increasingly complex medical system. Advocacy careers span the spectrum from patient advocacy in direct service to individuals, to community advocacy initiatives on behalf of geographic or disease-specific populations, to system-level policy-based advocacy activities. The minor in Health Advocacy lays a foundation for pursuing a career in this field or furthering graduate educational opportunities.
• HHS 101 Survey of Health Professions (1)-Fall only
• HHS 102 Survey of Health Professions – Shadowing Experiences (1) (can request exception to add AT 120, CLM 120, CSD 120, MLS 120, PAS 120, or PT 120 in lieu of HHS 102)
• HHS 241 Health & Medical Care Delivery Systems (3)-Fall/Spring/Summer online
• HHS 350 Health Policy and Politics (3)-Fall/Spring/Summer online
• HHS 353 Ethics in Health Practice (2)-Spring only
• HHS 453 Cultural Competence in Health Care (3)-Spring only
• HHS 354 Health Law (3)-Spring only
• HHS 362 Interdisciplinary Health Advocacy (1)-Fall/Spring--request override at https://www.uky.edu/chs/course-override-request
• CNU/PAS/HS/CLS/CSD 500 Integrative Care for Health Sciences (2)-Spring only--request override at https://www.uky.edu/chs/course-override-request
Minimum of one elective course from following courses:
• HHS 356 Seminar in International Healthcare (2)-Fall only--request override at https://www.uky.edu/chs/course-override-request
• HHS 361 Healthcare Quality and Patient Safety (3)Fall only----request override at https://www.uky.edu/chs/course-override-request
• CNU 503 Nutrition for the Health Professions (1)Spring only--request override at https://www.uky.edu/chs/course-override-request
TOTAL: 18-20 HOURS
To add the Health Advocacy minor, see your academic advisor or visit the College of Health Sciences Office of Student Affairs in 111 Wethington Building.