Guide to Consumer Information

Last updated: September 2019

With more than 200 academic programs spread across 16 colleges and professional schools, more than 450 student organizations and clubs excited for new members or the 22 varsity sports programs to follow throughout the year, there is something for everyone at the University of Kentucky!

This page contains a summary of consumer information that must be made available to all students at the University of Kentucky (UK) in accordance with federal regulations set forth by The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. Each topic listed gives a brief description of the information that must be disclosed and explains how it can be obtained. If you need assistance obtaining this information, contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (see address below). All addresses listed end with: University of Kentucky Lexington, KY 40506.  A paper copy will be provided upon request.


General Information about the University of Kentucky

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA):

In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, many offices at the University of Kentucky collect and maintain information about students. Although these records belong to the university, both university policy and federal law accord students a number of rights concerning these records.

The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, commonly known as FERPA, establishes the regulations regarding access to and disclosure of student records.

To fulfill FERPA requirements, the university has established Policies on Student Records. These policies outline a student’s rights regarding his/her records, where records about the student may be kept and maintained, what kinds of information are in those records, the conditions under which the student or anyone else may have access to information in those records, and what action a student can take if it is believed that the information in his/her record is inaccurate or that the student’s rights have been compromised. The policies on student records are on the web at

For more information or to receive a copy, contact the Office of the Registrar, 10 Funkhouser Building

Because the university does not maintain all student records in one location, each office maintaining student records is required by the University of Kentucky to develop a written statement of policies and procedures for handling those records; these statements are available for students to examine in the respective offices. In addition, copies of the university’s policies on student records and the pertinent federal law, FERPA, are posted in the Office of the Registrar’s locations and are also available in all Deans’ offices (see school/college contact information).


Facilities & Services for Disabled Students:

Students with documented physical‚ learning‚ or temporary disabilities may receive assistance and support from the Disability Resource Center. See documentation guidelines for more information.

David T. Beach, Director
Phone/TDD: (859) 257-2754
Location: 725 Rose Street, Suite 407, Multidisciplinary Science Building (MDS Building)


Student Body Diversity

For information about the diversity of the university student body, contact:

Office for Institutional Diversity
311 Main Building
Phone: (859) 257-9293
Fax: (859) 323-2800


Student Activities

For information on Student Activities at the University of Kentucky, contact:

Student Activities Board
A265 Gatton Student Center
Phone: (859) 257-8868



Cost of Attending the University

For actual UK tuition and fee charges contact: For estimated tuition and fees, housing costs and personal/miscellaneous expenses contact:

Office of the Registrar
Room 10 Funkhouser Building

Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
127 Funkhouser Building
Lexington, KY 40506-0054
Phone: 859-257-3172
Fax: 859-257-4398

**Dental and Medical Students, please reference your respective departments. For more information, click here


Refund Policy

The university has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student’s account upon his/her withdrawal from all classed during a term.

See for more. Dental / Medical students should contact their respective financial aid office.


Withdrawal Procedures

Students who are withdrawing from all classes at the university are required to notify the Registrar’s Office using one of the five methods posted at

Dental / Medical students must contact their respective financial aid offices.


Repayment Policy (Return of Title IV Aid)

Students who withdraw from all classes that are recieving federal Title IV grant and loan assistance may only keep the aid they have “earned” up to the time of withdrawal. The calculation of “earned” aid is mandated by the federal government. Funds that are determined to be “unearned” must be returned by the university and/or the student to the federal government. The repayment policy is available at and from the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Students withdrawing from either the College of Dentistry or College of Medicine should contact their respective financial aid offices. 


Description of Academic Programs

Information on the university’s academic programs, degree offerings, and plans for future programs is available from the various schools/colleges and admitting offices (Undergraduate Admission and Graduate School) See for contact information. See for major information.


Instructional Facilities and Labs

Information on the university’s instructional facilities and laboratories is available from the various schools/colleges and admitting offices.

(Undergraduate Admissions)

See for contact information. See for major information.


Textbook Information

Textbook information, including the ISBN and price of materials for courses, can be found on the student's myUK portal under the online course catalog in the Degree Planning and Registration section. Students can view specific course sections or registered courses to find 'Book info for this course'. This information can also be found in the Textbooks section of the UK Bookstore website:



Information on the university’s faculty and instructional personnel is available from the various schools/colleges. See for contact information.

See the Center for Enhanced Learning and Teaching website at for information on training provided to graduate student instructors at the university.


Accreditation Information

For accreditation information please visit


Copyright Information

For copyright information, including the University’s policy on Peer to Peer sharing, please visit

Cyber Security Information

Maintaining data security is an important responsibility, please vist for more information.

Voter Information

For information on voting in the 2020 Kentucky General Election, please visit for more information.


Information about Student Financial Assistance

Dental and Medical Students

Contact your respective financial aid office to request financial aid information. See for more information. 


All Other Students

Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships. Most information is available in the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships website at


Overview of Financial Aid Programs:

Need-based and non-need based federal financial aid available to students, including where to find grant sources from Kentucky and other states:

How to Apply for Aid:

Aid Eligibility Requirements:

How Eligibility for Need-Based Aid Is Determined and How Need-Based Aid Is Awarded:

College Financing Plan:

The College Financing Plan can be found under the student’s myUK by going to Financials>Financial Aid>College Financing Plan.

Aid for Study Abroad:

Students enrolled in study abroad program are eligible to apply for federal Title IV assistance. A student’s enrollment in a program of student abroad approved for credit by UK (home school) may be considered enrolled at UK for the purposes of applying for assistance under the Title IV, HEA programs. For details please visit or

Code of Conduct for Student Loans:

The university adheres to a code of conduct regarding relationships with providers of private educational loans. You may contact the Financial Aid office for a copy of the policy.

Cohort Default Rates for Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program or William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan):

Official Cohort Default Rate for the University of Kentucky and national cohort default average is available at



Rights and Responsibilities of Aid Recipients

Satisfactory Academic Progress:

This is defined by student’s successful completion of course work toward a degree. Students must maintain specific academic progress requirements to be eligible for financial aid. Aid eligibility lost may also be re-established.

Method and Frequency of Disbursements:

Financial aid disbursements (releases) to students are dependent on the type of aid and other factors.

Terms/Conditions of Financial Aid Employment:

For Federal Work-Study employment information, visit

Terms of Student Loans, Including Exit Counseling, Necessity of Repayment and Schedule:

Terms/Conditions of Deferment or Cancellation of Perkins Loan, Direct Stafford, or FFEL Loan Because of Volunteer Service:

Students may receive deferment or cancellation of loans for volunteer service such as Peace Corps, Armed Services, etc. See terms of each loan at  

Accessing information on current/previous loans, grants, and aid overpayments

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan Program, and other Department of ED programs. Borrowers can access information on their loans, grants, and aid overpayments, including the status of loans and contact information for servicers, by going (NSLDS) website at


Student Outcomes

Graduation and Retention Rates

The Office of the Institutional Research and Advanced Analytics offers up-to-date data on degrees conferred, enrollment reports, fresh-men profiles, graduation rates and retention rates. Visit for the UK Fact Booklet.


Program Licensure Disclosures

Programs in fields regulated by licensure or certification may not meet the educational requirements for licensure in certain states.  Students should check UK Online Out-of-State Educational Activities to determine if a program at the University of Kentucky meets the educational requirements for licensure in their state.  All students should keep in mind that relocating to another state while enrolled in a program could impact whether that student can continue in the course(s), the program, and/or meet the eligibility requirements of that state.


Graduation Success Rate and Academic Progress Rate for Student Athletes

Student-athletes, their parents, high school coaches, and guidance counselors can access information regarding the University of Kentucky’s NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) and the Academic Progress Rate (APR) by visiting


Employment for Graduates

Available information about job placement rates and the types of employment obtained by UK graduates may be obtained by contacting the UK Career Center 859-257-2746


Graduate and Professional Education for Graduates

Available information about the types of graduate and professional schools in which UK graduates enroll may be obtained from the UK Graduate School located at:
Ezra Gillis Building,
502 Administration Drive, 
Lexington, KY 40506


Athletic Program Participation & Financial Support:

As part of the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, information on annual participation rates and financing of men’s and women’s sports in intercollegiate athletic programs is available by request to students and the general public. For more information or to receive a copy of the report, contact UK Athletics at:

Joe Craft Center
338 Lexington Ave.
Lexington, KY 40506-0604

Health and Safety

Campus Safety and Security

The University of Kentucky Police Department reports all crimes to the Kentucky State Police and Federal Bureau of Investigation using the National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS).

These statistics include additions to what is required by the Federal Campus Crime and Security (Clery) Act and Kentucky Campus and Crime Security (Minger) Act. Detailed information concerning the UK Police Department, an on-line Daily Crime Report, and the many safe-ty and security programs we have to offer can be found at Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns by calling (859)257-8573

Should you have any questions concerning the Federal Campus Crime and Security (Clery) Act or Kentucky Campus and Crime Security (Minger) Act Annual Reports, please call the University of Kentucky Office of Emergency Management at (859)257-6655 or visit their website,

For information on the University’s fire policy, reports and logs, as well as information on Procedures and Processes visit the University of Kentucky’s Fire Marshal website at

Vaccination Policy

The University of Kentucky’s policies on immunizations for new students can be found on the University Health Service website:

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention

The University’s policy can be found at the following link:

State Authorization

Per state laws, the University must be legally authorized to offer distance education courses, programs, or associated activities (e.g. clinicals, internships, experiential education, etc.) to students located in another state. Students should check UK Online Out-of-State Educational Activities to determine states where the University of Kentucky can and cannot offer courses, programs, or associated activities. All distance education students should keep in mind that relocating to another state while enrolled in a program could impact whether that student can continue in the course(s), the program, and/or meet the eligibility requirements of that state. 

Contact Information for Admitting Offices and Schools/Colleges

Admitting Offices

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
100 Funkhouser Building,
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0054
Telephone: 859-257-2000

Graduate Schools
106 Gillis Building
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0033
Telephone: 859-257-4613



For contact information on your college please visit

For information specific to your college, such as course requirements, visit the UK Bulletin at


Admissions College of Medicine
800 Rose Street
Lexington KY, USA 40506-0298

Admissions J. David Rosenberg College of Law
620 S. Limestone
Lexington, KY 40506
(859) 218-1699

Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
128 Funkhouser Building
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0054
Fax: 859-257-4398

U.S. Department of Education’s College Scorecard is designed to help families make better-informed decisions about choosing a college.  For more information about the University of Kentucky, visit


Contact Information for Consumer Information

Help with consumer information is available by contacting the following individuals in the UK Financial Aid office:

127 Funkhouser Bldg
Office hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm.

Kathy J. Bialk, Executive Director

Rhonda Bryant, Deputy Director of Policy and Strategic Initiatives

Kate Ware, Associate Director, Financial Aid Funds Management & Audits