Summer Aid

A student must meet the following requirements to receive Summer Financial Aid:

  1. Student must have the 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file
  2. Student must submit a 2019 Summer Financial Aid Application
  3. Student must be enrolled in at least 6 hours, (or 5 hours if a graduate student), to receive federal loans.   Audit classes do not count.
  4. Student must meet the Financial Aid academic standards.


Academic Standards:

The Financial Aid Office must evaluate whether or not you have met the Standards of Academic Progress after Spring grades are posted.  If you fail to meet the standards, you will not be eligible for Summer Financial Aid and your awards will be cancelled.  Visit for more information.


Federal Work Study Applicant Instructions:

  1. Indicate in Section B whether or not you are interested in a summer Work-Study job.  You may work part time and take at least 1 hour, or you may work full-time and not take any classes. 
  2. If you are interested in full-time Work Study you must have the 2019-2020 FAFSA on file.
  3. Full-time Work Study students cannot be enrolled in Summer classes.
  4. Full-time Work Study students are required to sign a Savings Agreement. The Summer Savings Agreement states that a portion of your earnings will be used as a resource for the 2019-20 academic year.  See Robin Gray in 127 Funkhouser if you have questions.


Student Direct Loan Eligibility:

A student can receive their maximum annual Direct Loan limit during a 12 month period. The academic year is comprised of a Fall, Spring, and Summer session (in that order). If you received your annual loan limit during the 2018 Fall and/or 2019 Spring term, you are NOT eligible for any William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan funds for the 2019 Summer term. You may consider a Parent Plus Loan, Graduate Plus Loan, or alternative loan.


Annual William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) Limits:

Credit Hours Maximum for Dependent Students Maximum for Indepedent Students
Freshmen   (1 - 29 hours) 5,500 9,500 *
Sophmore  (30 - 59 hours) 6,500 10,500 *
Junior         (60 - 89 hours) 7,500 12,500 **
Senior         (90+ hours) 7,500 12,500 **
Graduate   20,500 ***

* At least $6,000 of this amount must be in unsubsidized William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans.
**At least $7,000 of this amount must be in unsubsidized William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans.
*** The $20,500 will be unsubsidized William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans


Graduate Students:

Graduate students who have exhausted their $20,500 Unsub during the Fall and/or Spring semester can apply for a Grad Plus loan at

First time borrowers of the Graduate Plus Loan must complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling at before the loan will disburse. 


Important Financial Aid Questions:


Q: What Financial Aid is available for Summer courses?

A: For Federal Direct Loans, the availability of Summer aid is determined by any remaining eligibility you may have from the 2018-2019 academic year. (See loan limits on the back of this page).

Depending on enrollment, and FAFSA information, you may be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. If you were enrolled as a full-time student during the Fall and Spring semester of 2018-2019, you must take at least 6 hours to be eligible for Summer Pell Grant.


Q: What if I drop, or withdraw, from my Summer courses?

A: If you register for classes and receive aid but do not complete the hours, you may be required to repay all or a portion of the funds you received.


Q: Is there a specific date in which I should be enrolled in all my Summer courses?

A: Students should make every effort to be enrolled in all the classes they plan to take by Mid-June.


Q: When will I be able to view my Financial Aid for Summer?

A: You will be offered your Financial Aid once you have enrolled in your Summer courses. You will be able to view and accept your awards on your MyUK under 'Financial Aid'>'2018-2019'. You will receive an email once it becomes available. 


Q: Can I increase my Summer Financial Aid budget for childcare?

A: Yes, fill out 'Section D' of the 2019 Summer Financial Aid Application. You must provide documentation of childcare from the provider when submitting your application.


Summer (2019) Financial Aid Application