Adult Student Learner Allies Week
THEME: “Community Support for Adult Student Learners”Monday, June 7, 2021 – Friday, June 11, 2021
Committee: International Student Concerns
Co-Chair: Melissa Molho
Event Lead: Edward Lo, Graduate Student Leader
The Graduate Student Congress (GSC) presents a week-long series of events to highlight the contributions of adult/mature student learners at UK in undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. This program is made possible with the support of the UK Office of Institutional Diversity, the Graduate School, and the Office of Diversity in the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment.
- a panel discussion on best practices for adult student learners, with a focus on student veterans;
- a panel discussion on advocacy for student parents at UK; and
- distribution of complimentary family resource kits packed with family-friendly activities for UK student parents.
Family resource kits will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis for UK students with children who attend any of the two panels or who express written interest in the kits. Thanks to the UK Student Government Association for in-kind donations.
Tuesday, June 8, 2021
11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. EST
Panel on "Teaching and Learning with Student Veterans"
Moderator: Anji Chester, Student Veterans Leader
The purpose of this panel is to focus on best practices for engaging with adult/mature learners at UK. Together with the Center for the Enhancement of Learrning and Teaching (CELT), the panel will convene faculty and student veterans to discuss potential improvement for course instruction. The goal is to identify steps needed to create a more inclusive learning environment, particularly for student veterans. Thanks to the Veterans Resource Center for guidance in organizing the discussion. Click here for Zoom meeting.
- Trey Conatser – Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching
- Laura Letellier – College of Engineering
- Dr. Philipp Kraemer – College of Arts and Science
- Nathan Eapen – President of Student Veterans Association
- Deb Daley – PhD candidate, College of Arts and Science
Thursday, June 10, 2021
11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. EST
Panel on "Meeting the unmet needs of UK student-parents"
Moderator: Kaylynne Glover, GSC President 2017-18
The purpose of this panel is to discuss the challenges that student-parents face at UK and how to create a student-parent organization focused on addressing these challenges. Click here for Zoom meeting.
- Jessica Johnson – Public Relations and Communications, University of Louisville Student Parent Association
- Alayna Jacobs – PhD candidate, College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment
- Shishir Sarker – PhD candidate, College of Arts and Science
- Anji Chester – Student Veterans Leader
- Brandon Spencer – PhD candidate, College of Arts and Science