Upper-Level Admission to the Lewis Honors College
The Lewis Honors College at the University of Kentucky welcomes applications for Upper-Level Admission (ULA). Membership in the Honors College provides students with enhanced opportunities to deeply explore their chosen field of study. Students will also have access to expanded course offerings, faculty mentorship, Honors advising, and career support through the Center for Personal Development (CPD).
Students entering their second or third year of attendance at the University of Kentucky and transfer students (see below) and who plan to remain enrolled for a minimum of 4 semesters are eligible for acceptance into the Lewis Honors College. Applicants who submit their materials by the December deadline and are accepted into the Honors College will be eligible for Honors priority registration for their first enrolled semester. All students accepted through the ULA process will begin enrollment in the Lewis Honors College starting the fall semester after notification of their acceptance, regardless of when the application was submitted. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.60 is preferred as Honors students are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.40 to maintain good standing in Honors. Applicants with a cumulative GPA below 3.40 should explain in their personal statement their plans for increasing their GPA to at least a 3.40 (to avoid being placed on academic notice in Honors).
Transfer students are eligible to apply if they plan to attend UK for at least two academic years. Applicants must submit all college transcripts and may be asked to submit a high school transcript. Preference will be given to students enrolled in Honors Colleges/programs at their prior institution or members of Phi Theta Kappa at a two-year institution.
Information Sessions for Prospective Upper-Level Students
We will hold four info sessions during the spring semester for prospective Lewis Honors College students. No registration is necessary.
Join via Zoom at https://uky.zoom.us/my/kaylapowell.
- Feb. 15, 2 to 3 p.m.
- March 23, 1 to 2 p.m.
- April 21, 10 to 11 a.m.
- May 2, 3 to 4 p.m.
The application for Upper-Level Admission to the Lewis Honors College consists of five parts:
- General information:Online form collecting student and academic data.
- Statement of Intent: State your rationale for wanting to apply to the Lewis Honors College. Be sure to explain how prior experience (academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership, service work, etc.) has prepared you to be successful (300 words maximum).
- Short Essay: Address the following prompt (500 words maximum): Describe an experience or encounter that challenged a previously held belief or opinion. What was your process for considering new information and what was the outcome?
- Writing Sample: Submit a writing sample (preferably from a course in your intended major) that highlights excellence in thought. The writing sample should be double-spaced (12-point standardized font, 1-inch margins). Typical submissions are between 4 and 10 pages, but there is no page number requirement.
- 5. Letter of Recommendation: Applicants should write the name, title, and email address of a faculty member who will write a letter of recommendation on the student’s behalf. This letter should speak to the student’s ability to engage in the classroom and perform at a high level academically.
Documents must be uploaded as either .pdf or .docx files
Students entering the Honors College as second-year ULA admits (with three years remaining until graduation) will have a reduced curriculum requirement of 21-credit hours. Students entering the Honors College as third-year ULA admits (with two years remaining until graduation) will have a reduced curriculum requirement of 15-credit hours. Students will work with their Honors academic advisor to select coursework.
Early Assurance Program
Students who apply for the Early Assurance Program do not need to submit a separate ULA application. All students admitted to EAP will receive automatic acceptance to the Lewis Honors College.
Decisions and Important Dates
Admission decisions will be made by a committee of Honors faculty and staff. Students will be evaluated on college GPA, quality of writing samples, and confirmation of thesis completion support from the applicant’s primary academic department.
Students who submit their application for Fall 2022 admission on or before December 17, 2021will receive their admission decision by February 11, 2022 and be eligible for early priority registration for the Fall 2022 semester. All students wishing to be admitted to the Lewis Honors College for Fall 2022 should submit their application materials no later than May 6, 2022. Students should anticipate receiving admission decisions on or around June 10, 2022.
For questions regarding the ULA process, please contact Kayla Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org.