HONORS EXPERIENCES include undergraduate research, education abroad, experiential learning, and service learning opportunities. Honors Experiences provide unique ways for Honors students to expand their horizons by conducting academic research, learning from professionals in their field, working with community service agencies, or by immersing themselves in other cultures around the world. Six credit hours of Honors Experience credit is required, and many majors have required or optional courses that can count.
Credit-bearing Honors Experience options in Honors are:
- HON 395: Honors Research and Creativity. Independent research or creative projects supervised by a faculty member in the field. Work must result in a report or publication evaluated by the supervising faculty member. A completed/signed HON 395 Research Proposal form is required and must be submitted to Honors within the first week of the semester. Please follow the HON 395 approval process.
- HON 352: Study and Travel Abroad. An experiential, travel-abroad course that requires pre-travel class preparation followed by travel abroad that will provide students with multi-cultural exposure, leadership, and a new frame of reference for understanding the world and their role in it.
- HON 399: Honors Service Learning and Community Engagement. An Independent Study course wherein students partner with a faculty member or Honors staf to work on completion of a service- or community-based learning experience in the field that meets specified goals. For student-proposed HON 399 projects, please follow the HON 399 approval process.
- EXP 396 Honors: This course provides credit for those in non-UK experiences over the fall and spring semester or non-full time experiences in the summer (internships, REUs, etc.). Please contact Hannah LeGris for enrollment.
- HON 386: Open to students engaged in full-time summer internships (144 hours minimum, contact your Honors Advisor to see if your experience qualifies). Enrollment forms are due to your academic advisor before the end of the Spring Semester.
Please consult the list of Pre-Approved Experience Courses to see if your major has a pre-approved Honors Experience option.