Skip to main

Any age: "When could I retire?"

Any age

Understand your retirement savings with Fidelity and/or TIAA

  • Understand information related to retirement savings.
  • Adjust your allocation or other strategies if needed.
  • Request what’s called a retirement income illustration, which will show your options for receiving your retirement money.

See what UK officially counts as your years of service

A service check will show you the exact calculation of your years of service based on what’s called full-time equivalency (FTE), which is your paid working hours divided by the number of hours considered to be full-time.

Consider attending retirement planning events

A variety of opportunities includes an annual conference in the fall. These events provide a helpful overview and updates on important changes.


Schedule a meeting

Schedule online

(859) 224-6900

Customer service
1-800-842-2776

Schedule a meeting

Schedule online

1-800-642-7131

Customer service
1-800-343-0860

Benefits office
(859) 257-9519 option 3

Age 62+

Understand your options for social security

Age 65+

Understand how your age and work status affects health insurance

Prior to age 65, you'll begin receiving notifications from Medicare about enrolling in Medicare. According to Medicare, your enrollment period begins three months before your 65th birthday and closes four months after your birthday.

  • If you're working at age 65 and have UK health insurance (HMO, PPO, EPO, RHP or Indemnity), we recommend you sign up for Medicare part A during your Medicare enrollment period.
  • If you have our UK Saver health insurance, you're not eligible to enroll in Medicare part A until you retire.

When you're retired, Medicare covers 80 percent of your total medical bills. This leaves many to pay the remaining 20 percent out-of-pocket, but we offer Medicare Advantage to UK retirees as a supplemental option to help close that gap. Medicare Advantage includes prescription coverage administered by Express Scripts, so—if you choose Medicare Advantage—do not enroll in Medicare part D which also covers prescriptions.

Medicare
UK health insurance plans for retirees
  • Learn more about rates, eligibility and plan details on our website
  • Call (859) 257-9519, option 3 for UK HR Benefits customer service

Anytime 1-5 years out: “When do I want to retire?”

There’s no one right age to retire—that's up to you. We recommend considering all the factors and we provide several informational events, plus services offering personalized guidance.

Better understand your current retirement savings account balance and what that means for your overall income during retirement, including social security.


Schedule a meeting

Schedule online

(859) 224-6900

Customer service
1-800-842-2776

Schedule a meeting

Schedule online

1-800-642-7131

Customer service
1-800-343-0860

No co-pay for up to five sessions to get support with the transition into retirement and planning the next chapter.

Mental health therapist
  • Call (859) 257-8763 to schedule an appointment
  • Or schedule an appointment online

Gain support on reaching goals or making the changes you want to see happen in any area of your life.

Certified Health and Wellness Coach
  • Call (859) 257-9355 to schedule an appointment
  • Or, schedule an appointment online

UK staffs pharmacists at Know Your Rx who are here to help ensure you pay the lowest cost possible for your prescription medications now and after retirement.

Know Your Rx Pharmacists
  • Call (859) 218-5979 to speak to a pharmacist

4-6 months out: “What will be my exact retirement date?”

Planning a retirement date several months in advance helps ensure everything will go smoothly with the health insurance, income, and all the changes you’ve planned.

You’ll receive instructions for officially retiring and the latest updates on benefits.

Contact a UK retirement officer

Send your written notice of intent to retire:

  • With 30-day notice if you’re staff age 65+
  • With 90-day notice if you’re staff below age 65
  • With one-semester notice if you’re faculty