“Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." - Oprah Winfrey
Aside from the cold, I love the beginning of the new year. It provides a fresh start and a chance to look back on both the celebrations and challenges of 2019. It’s a time to reflect on what went well, what didn’t and how can we improve.
We can apply this same reflection to caregiving. How did we do, both for ourselves and our older loved one? Where did we shine and where can we do better?
Reflect back on 2019:
- Were you kind to yourself, knowing you did your best as a caregiver?
- Did you take 10, 15 or 20 minutes every day to do one thing you enjoy?
- Did you find new ways to take care of yourself? Did you join a walking group? Did you try a meditation or exercise class? Are you participating in a support group?
- Did you make your own physical and mental health a priority?
- Did you get more sleep? Did you start small, setting your bedtime 10 minutes earlier and building up?
- Were you able to find the resources available in your area to help you with your caregiving tasks?
Congratulate yourself on what went well, take pride in what you accomplished and learn from the things that did not go well. And remember, caregiving is something that you do out of love and a sense of duty, and while you do not always feel appreciated, the care you provide is important and needed by your loved one.
Let us help:
You might be new to caregiving, you might have been doing this for a while or you might see caregiving in your future. Regardless, there are always things you can learn and do that will help you and your loved one.
UK Elder Care can help! If you are a UK employee, retiree, spouse/partner or family member, we can assist you with your caregiving needs by providing information, consultation, guidance and referrals.
Here’s to a happy and healthy 2020!