It may sound counter-intuitive at first, but there are simple ways that you can make a fall on snow or ice safer than it might be otherwise. Here just a few tips.
Forward Fall (also applies to tripping)
- Slap ground with entire palm & forearm (this avoids breaking your wrist).
- Look left or right (this avoids hitting nose/face on ground).
- Do not make contact with body; you should end in a modified push up position with only your toes and forearms touching the ground.
- Try to bend at knees & squat before fall.
- Tuck chin to chest (so that your head does not contact ground).
- Slap ground with forearms before body hits.
- Slap ground with entire palm and forearm (use left arm if falling left, right if falling right). This avoids breaking your wrist
- Tuck chin to chest (so that head does not contact ground).