Interviewing a caregiver
We strongly encourage you to interview potential student caregiver(s) before confirming child care arrangements. Asking opened-ended questions about their child care experience and skills is a good way to get to know them better in addition to asking for their references. This is also a good time to discuss the details of the position, including expectations, tasks and the hourly rate.
- What are the ages of children you have provided care for before and in what circumstance? What was the duration of care?
- What activities are you involved in your spare time?
- Your profile lists that you are available on ______ days and times. Is that still correct?
- Your profile listed $_____ as your preferred hourly rate. Is that still correct?
- The date we need care to begin is __/__. Would you be able to start then?
- What do you like best about providing childcare and what activities do you enjoy doing with kids?
- How do you/would you handle an emergency situation?
- What is the most difficult situation you have encountered while providing childcare and how did you handle it?
- How do you comfort and discipline children? What do you think is the best way to handle temper tantrums?
- What is your comfort level with cooking and preparing meals for kids? OR What is your experience preparing and heating a bottle?
- If applicable, do you have experience changing diapers?
- If applicable, how comfortable are you with bathing children and bedtime routines?
- What questions do you have for me?
Questions for reference checks
- What were the caregiver's responsibilities?
- Did your child(ren) feel safe and attended to in their care?
- How did they relate to your child?
- Were they responsible, reliable, and punctual?
- Did they follow house rules?
- How highly would you recommend their services?
- Would you hire them again?
Big Blue Family Care
Big Blue Family Care is a network of current UK students, who offer occasional caregiving, such as after school, nights, and weekends (i.e. child care, pet care) to families of UK employees.
We can help match you with available student caregivers.