Becoming Wildly Resilient: Dispelling Diet Culture
Vanessa Oliver, a registered dietitian and nutritionist with UK HR Health and Wellness, returns to the podcast to talk about diet culture. As a certified Intuitive Eating counselor, Vanessa shares how this framework contributes to our resilience. Listen as she and host Jakob Hester discuss what diet culture is and why it is problematic for our overall well-being; how diet culture has disguised itself as wellness culture; what it means to have an anti-diet mindset; and ways we can overcome and dismantle diet culture when we're on an anti-diet path.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Employee Nutrition Support:
- Movement: Healthy at Every Size
- Movie Example: "Mean Girls" clip
- Concept: hedonic treadmill
- Article: rethinking the hedonic treadmill as a river
- Framework: 10 principles of Intuitive Eating
Book and Podcast: "Anti Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating" book and "Food Psych" podcast from Christie Harrison
- Specific Podcast Episode: "How You Can Help Fight Diet Culture in Your Life with Heather Caplan, Anti-Diet Dietitian"
- Book: "Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia" by Sabrina Strings
- Book: "The Body is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love" by Sonya Renee Taylor
- Podcast: "Maintenance Phase"
- Blog Post: "How to Respond to Diet Talk" by Alissa Rumsey
Playlist: A Wildly Resilient Playlist, available on Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube Music
- What songs would you add? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upcoming Events: UK Human Resources calendar
Have feedback or know someone at UK that would be a good guest? Email us at email@example.com.
You can listen and follow all episodes of "Becoming Wildly Resilient" wherever you find your podcasts.