Cheesy cauliflower tots
It is really really hard for me to turn down a Tater Tot. But even though some cafeterias may count them as a vegetable (ahem, I’m looking at YOU, USDA), they are probably not a choice to make if you are looking for a nutrient-dense side dish.
This version, made with cauliflower, offers higher fiber and more nutrients than the potato original. And they are baked, not fried. So if you’ve got a bag a cauliflower rice in the freezer are looking for something new to do with it, here you go!
1 bag frozen riced cauliflower
2 green onions, green and white parts, sliced finely
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used what I had, which was smoked cheddar and mozzarella, but lots of cheeses would work)
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a non-stick skillet, sauté frozen riced cauliflower for 5-7 minutes, or until any moisture is evaporated. While that is cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add cauliflower to bowl with other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Mixture should be uniform and sticky.
- Form mixture into tot-like cylinders and arrange on prepared baking sheet. I used a small ice cream scoop to portion them out and then did final shaping with my hands. If the mixture sticks too much to your hands, have a small bowl of water ready to dip your fingers into periodically – this will help.
- Lightly spray with pan spray and bake tots in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn the tots and bake an additional 10 or until golden brown.
This recipe makes about 20 tots. I ate mine as a side dish with some spicy banana ketchup. Enjoy!
Any questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the UK HR EatWell program, visit our web page.