There are over 7.5 million Muslims and more than 1,200 mosques nationwide. In central Kentucky and UK, we are seeing an increasing Muslim population and a growing diversity of Muslim cultures. This workshop will explore Muslim culture and provide participants with information and insight to understand Muslims through different cultural lenses. By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify stereotypes and misconceptions about Muslim people.
- Identify the core beliefs and practices of Islam.
- Describe acts of daily living that are a vital part of Muslim culture.
- Recognize cultural beliefs and behaviors that impact workplace communication.
- Recognize the variety and diversity within Muslim culture and thought.
- Discuss the impact of immigration and cultural assimilation on American Muslims.
- Develop steps towards further understanding and appreciation of Muslim culture in the workplace.