University SuperVision is a mandatory training program designed by HR Training & Development to equip supervisors with the skills and knowledge to manage people and functions effectively at the University of Kentucky. Completion of the SuperVision program is mandated by Human Resources Policy and Procedure Number 50.0: Staff Development / Training. This policy dictates "All newly hired or promoted supervisory employees shall complete SuperVision, a supervisory training program, within 180 days of supervisory assignment."
At times, supervisors come into positions having already developed strong skills through formal education or experience. University SuperVision will build on that knowledge base by providing insight to the unique policies and procedures used at the University of Kentucky.
The following are the goals of the University SuperVision Program:
- To develop a staff of highly skilled and competent supervisors who understand and manage human and capital resources in a strategic rather than reactive fashion
- To assist supervisors in the recognition and proper application of University policies and procedures
- To provide supervisors with some of the basic supervisory skills in order to build more confident and self-motivated employees
- To contribute to the University's overall mission of providing excellent instruction, modern research, and meaningful service
To help ensure newly hired University supervisors receive required training on a timely basis, HR Training & Development provides quarterly training compliance reports to all senior leaders. By providing greater transparency regarding compliance with required SuperVision training, we hope to dramatically increase completion/compliance rates.
University SuperVision courses are required for both Campus and UK Healthcare supervisors. University SuperVision courses are offered on an ongoing basis and available for registration within myUK. In addition to University SuperVision, supervisors within the UK HealthCare Enterprise will need to complete UKHC New Leader Academy.
All supervisors must complete University SuperVision.
If you have been attending University SuperVision training and aren't sure what classes you need to take to complete the program and receive your certificate of completion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the years, the program and course names have changed; we'll be happy to assist you in determining where you are in the completion process.
- If you have questions about University SuperVision, contact Donna Vanover (859) 257-5996 or Tommy Leach (859) 257-9624.
- University Supervision Chart of Courses
UK HealthCare supervisors
UKHC New Leader Academy (formerly known as UKHC SuperVision) is a five day course that is offered quarterly. Core training is provided the first two days, with topics ranging from our organizational values (Living DIReCT) to a supervisory focus on important regulatory topics (e.g., safety, risk, accreditation). Days three through five provide important leadership development. New UKHC supervisors are required to attend but the program is also open to faculty.
- For questions regarding UK HealthCare courses, contact UK HealthCare Enterprise Learning.