#IAmAWomanInSTEM Student Organization at UK
The #IAmAWomanInSTEM student organization @ UK was approved on February 16, 2017, by the Office of Student Organizations and Activities. The UK student led by #IAmAWomanInSTEM student ambassadors Ndeye Thiaw (president), Mollye Malone (vice-president) and Heather Campbell (STEM Groups organizer).
The main goals of #IAmAWomanInSTEM are to encourage female undergraduate students to stay in STEM majors, provide female undergraduate students with positive role models by pairing students with peer and professional mentors, create discussion on the issues facing women in STEM+H fields, both in the classroom and in the workplace, and involve female undergraduates in the leadership and development of the #IAmAWomanInSTEM initiative.
The #IAmAWomanInSTEM initiative over time will go beyond UK to include other Kentucky institutions. So, join our UK student organization devoted to just us at UK! All students who are interested in the #IAmAWomanInSTEM initiative are invited to apply - men are welcome to join as allies for the cause!
The #IAmAWomanInSTEM student organization @UK will meet once a month in different places across campus. Join the organization via BBNvolved as a member so to get updates and announcements. If interested in an officer position, please contact Mollye Malone. Officers will be responsible for applying for funding, attending UK student organization orientations, managing events, and making sure the association is active and on the right track.
ARTICLE I: PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
- Encourage female undergraduate students to stay in STEM majors (sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics.)
- Provide female undergraduates with positive role models.
- Create discussion on the issues facing women in STEM fields, both in the classroom and in the workplace.
- Involve female undergraduates in the leadership and development of the #IAmAWomanInSTEM initiative.
- To the end, this organization will
- Hold monthly meetings;
- Provide members with peer and professional support and motivation.
ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP
- Membership is open to any University of Kentucky student interested in furthering the #IAmAWomanInSTEM initiative.
ARTICLE III: ADMINISTRATION
- The governing body of #IAmAWomanInSTEM includes a President, Vice President, and any other leadership position found needed by the group at a later date.
- Each position is held by students.
- Each position is held through the entirety of an academic year.
ARTICLE IV: ELECTION OF OFFICERS
- The elected officers of #IAmAWomanInSTEM are determined by a popular vote among group members.
- Elections for the following academic year are held prior to conclusion of the former academic year.
- All elected positions required for the management of the group for the following academic year will be determined by the group prior to the conclusion of the former academic year.
ARTICLE V: AMENDMENTS
- Amendments to the constitution can be submitted by group leaders and officers prior to any monthly meeting.
- Amendments may be changed and enacted by popular vote of present group members at any monthly meeting.
ARTICLE VI: DISSOLUTION
- Upon dissolution of this organization, all assets, property, and interests which it shall then possess shall be disposed of in a manner determined by a majority of the Officer Committee to other campus organization of similar interests to #IAmAWomanInSTEM.