- Fall semester admission: Feb. 15
- Spring semester admission: Oct. 15
Applications for the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing received after the above deadlines will be considered only on a space available basis. International applicants must adhere to published graduate school deadlines.
PhD Admission Requirements
Applicants to the PhD Program should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Undergraduate grade point average of 3.3 on a 4.0 grading scale
- A bachelor’s degree in nursing from an NLN- or CCNE-accredited program
- Licensure as a registered nurse in Kentucky or in the state where research will take place
- Graduate Records Exam (GRE) is optional but highly recommended; GRE scores are used for competitive funding opportunities, particularly those from the UK Graduate School
- Three references attesting to the potential of the student for a scholarly career; at least one should be from a doctorally prepared nurse
- Example of scholarly written work that demonstrates excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate clearly and logically; examples could include a publication or class paper
- Goal statement that addresses short- and long-term academic, research and career goals; a self-evaluation of motivation, initiative and the potential for independent learning with specific examples of each; and examples of leadership experiences where initiative and self-motivation were important to success
- Two faculty interviews arranged as part of the admission process
- Admission to the University of Kentucky Graduate School
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements are reviewed individually on a space-available basis.