- Master of Science or doctoral degree in nursing (preferred)
- Completed application to the UK College of Nursing Certificate Option (form is located on the "Applying" page)
- Minimum score of 550 (or 213 on computer-based test or 79 on iBT) on Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all applicants whose native language is not English
- Current, active, unencumbered and unrestricted RN license and APRN license (if applicable) in each US state where practice or clinical experiences occur. The RN/APRN license cannot have any restrictions on licensure which would preclude meeting the requirements of the degree program and required clinical rotation.
- Two references, one of which must be from your current supervisor, the other from your master's or doctoral degree program advisor (preferred) or other nursing faculty member
- Interview(s) with graduate faculty member(s)
Read carefully through all of the instructions below so that you will have all necessary materials available to you before you begin the process.
Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS)
The UK College of Nursing participates in Nursing’s Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS), which provides you with an online application. NursingCAS collects and processes your application documents and verifies your transcripts. We receive your application information from NursingCAS and use it to make our admission decisions. Do not apply directly to UK.
NursingCAS provides detailed instructions on their website. Review information under the “Prepare to Apply” tab. The system provides you with updates on your progression as you work through the application and allows you to check your status online to track the receipt of your application, transcripts and references. You will be able to see when they receive your materials and when your application is marked complete and submitted to the UK College of Nursing.
Questions on how to upload required documents or questions regarding receipt of transcripts should be directed to NursingCAS and not to the College of Nursing.
Questions regarding admission requirements should be directed to the UK College of Nursing NursGradAdm@uky.edu.
All required items must be uploaded and transcripts verified by NursingCAS on or before the January 15th deadline. The transcript verification process can take several weeks after receipt of transcript, so please see that all materials are received by NursingCAS no later than January 1. This should ensure your application is complete prior to the deadline of January 15th.
Qualified, complete applicants will be contacted after the January 15th application deadline to schedule interviews with graduate nursing faculty. Those interviews will occur in late January - February.
Following interviews applications will be reviewed and decision letters mailed to all applicants no later than March 15th.
Admission is competitive based on the number of qualified applications received and the space available. We do not admit students from all states.
The University of Kentucky works to provide distance learning courses and programs to students across the state of Kentucky, the country and abroad, but location matters when it comes to the availability of some courses and programs. Each state and territory have different requirements for distance learning. Out of state students who are interested in distance learning should read each section below and confirm that their program of interest can be offered and/or lead to licensure or certification in their state or territory.
State Authorization is a type of consumer protection regulated by states and territories. Institutions are required to obtain state authorization when they offer online courses or programs outside of their home state. Visit the State Authorization by Program section to learn which programs are authorized in each state.
States may have additional requirements for programs that lead to professional licensure or certification. Learn which programs can lead to licensure and certification in each state.
Contact Distance Learning with questions or for more information.
All admitted students will be required to undergo background check, drug screen and submit proof of immunizations and CPR to a medical document service.
HOW TO APPLY:
The application fee is $70.00, payable through NursingCAS. For information on application fee waivers, visit the NursingCAS website. There is no additional application fee to the University of Kentucky College of Nursing. Applicants to the Certificate option must select one specialty in their application. Specialty options are:
- Adult Gero Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Executive Nursing Leadership
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner – Primary Care
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner – Acute Care
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Prospective applicants must complete the following sections on the Nursing's Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS)
- Personal Information
- Academic History
Send official post-secondary transcripts from all institutions where you earned a degree or completed any coursework. Transcripts can take up to 7-10 business days to process once they are received by NursingCAS.
Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions where you earned a degree or completed any coursework (including post-secondary institutions where credit was granted through completion of a course during high school) are required for admission consideration.
- The official transcripts must be sent to NursingCAS.
- Applicants applying to a graduate program are not required to submit high school transcripts for admission consideration.
- Transcripts sent directly to the University of Kentucky will not be accepted. If you have any questions regarding the process of submitting transcripts, contact NursingCAS directly through their contact page.
- Current or previous University of Kentucky students are required to request transcripts to be sent to NursingCAS through the Office of the Registrar.
- Supporting Materials:
- Licensure and Certification
- Program Materials Section
- Current CV/resume - You should have your current/updated Curriculum Vitea or resume in hand prior to beginning the application. This will provide you with needed information regarding prior schools attended, dates, prior employment and dates, etc. needed for the application. Applicants are required to upload current CV/resume. See sample format
Recommendations - You will need current contact information on each of your two references (full name, employer name and email address) before beginning the application. These individuals will be required to upload a letter of recommendation to NursingCAS.
- You will want to select references to attest to the applicant's expertise in nursing or health care. Faculty prefer professional references from a current supervisor, the other from your master's or doctoral degree program advisor (preferred) or other nursing faculty member.
Identifying your selected references and initiating the recommendation request is part of the NursingCAS application. Hard copy or electronic versions of recommendations sent directly to the school will not be accepted.
- Licensure: Applicants must upload copy of the State Board of Nursing validation of their current, unencumbered RN license(s), and APRN license if applicable.
Admission to the certificate option is made on a competitive, space-available basis.
Questions? E-mail NursGradAdm@uky.edu or call (859) 323-5108.