Incomplete "I" Grades
An "I" grade should be given only when a reasonable probability exists the student can complete the work within the allowed period of time and that a passing grade will result from completion of the work. The grade of "I" must be replaced by a regular letter grade no later than 12 months from the end of the academic term in which the grade was awarded OR prior to the student's graduation, whichever occurs first. The instructor should create a statement that includes the following:
- the name of the student;
- the course number and the number of credit hours; semester and year of enrollment;
- signature of the Instructor of Record;
- a brief statement of the reason(s) for recording the "I" grade;
- the specific time requirement (not to exceed 12 months) set by the Instructor of Record for removal of the "I" grade and consequences of not removing the "I" grade; and
- signature of the student, if feasible.
Copies should be provided to the student and Department Chair at the time the "I" grade is reported (or the Director of Graduate Studies in the case of a graduate student).