The University of Kentucky Police have been serving our community since the early 1900's. What started as a night watchman service tasked with basic security, has now grown to be a full service police department.
In the early years, the night watchmen had the duty of simply locking doors and providing physical security. Until 1968, if assistance was needed, the operator was called who would then activate a red flashing light that was mounted on top of the Physical Plant building. Upon seeing this light the security officer on duty would go to a phone and call in to see what service was needed. The entire security department was located in a room in Peterson Service Building that was described as being not much larger than a broom closet.