Lifeguard Instructor Certification
This course fulfills certification requirements for American Red Cross lifeguarding instructor course. The classes will be held at the Lancaster Aquatic Center Pool located 416 Complex Drive on the University of Kentucky campus. Additional questions you may have should be directed to our Memership Sales desk (859) 257–7940, or email email@example.com.
Registration will close on the day prior to the start day of class.
Course Cost LGI: $200 for UK Student/ $215.00 for UK Affiliates
Not offering at this time - $235.00 for non UK Affiliates
Course Cost for LGI Recertification: $150 UK Affiliates
Not offering at this time - $170 for non UK Affiliates
*Books will be provided for the course. Participants can download the material from the Red Cross website at no cost.
- Must have a current American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification.
- Must complete ONLINE course work prior to first day of class. Online blended learning course work will require 3-5 hours and must be completed prior to attending course at Lancaster Aquatic Center. An email with a link will be provided to you after you have registered for Lifeguard Instructor certification.
- Must successfully perform skills test first day of class:
- Swim 300 yards continuously of either breaststroke or freestyle NO TIME REQUIREMENT.
- Start in the water‚ swim 20yds using front crawl or breaststroke‚ surface dive 7-10 feet‚ retrieve a 10 pound object‚ return to the surface‚ swim 20 yds back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps‚ within the time frame of 1 minute and 40 seconds.
Students who successfully complete the pre–requisite skills test are required to attend and participate in all subsequent sessions‚ which include classroom work and skills practice. To receive certification‚ students must satisfactorily perform all CPR‚ first aid‚ and water rescue skills‚ and pass two 50 question multiple choice written tests with at least an 80% average on each. Upon successful completion of the course‚ students will be certified in Lifeguard Training‚ Community First Aid and Safety‚ and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
Refunds will only be issued if the student does not pass the pre–course‚ or the class is cancelled. There will be a refund check issued after 20 days.
Registration and Enrollment:
Enrollment in each class is limited to the first 10 paid participants (minimum of 3 participants to host a course /maximum of 10). *Additional classes will be added to the schedule, based on demand.
Please register early for our classes. Registration will close on the day prior to the start day of class. To host a course we must have three participants.
Class days for LGI: normally will be scheduled Friday, 5p-9p, Saturday, 9a-6p and Sunday, 9a-6p
Class days and date for LGI Recertification:
Friday January 29th 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Saturday January 30th 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunday January 31st 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
You can register online HERE if you have a UK LINKBlue account. Please click on Aquatic Programs and log in!