Are you an experienced swimmer looking for a job on campus?
Earn your American Red Cross Water safety instructor Certification and learn how to teach swimming skills to participants of all ages and abilities. You can help recreational swimmers achieve their objectives, improve their abilities, and stay safe in, on, and around water by participating in our Aquatic Instructor Training program.
The class is offered only to UK Students for $40. Once you have successfully completed the course you would need to work 4 hours a week for one academic semester.
Please see our opening hours here.
How it works:
After the class, participants may be hired as Swim instructors for UK Campus Recreation at $10/hr. Participants will be paired with an experienced Swim Instructor for one Semester. Within an academic semester, you will be reevaluated to become a Certified Water Safety instructor at $20/hr.
To Register go here.
What You'll Learn
During our swim instructor certification training courses you'll learn how to help individuals enjoy their time in the water safely – and in a wide range of ways. Throughout the courses we'll focus on a number of key areas that can help you succeed as aquatics instructor, such as:
- Water safety at public pools, homes, natural bodies of water and more, including the Circle of Drowning Prevention and Chain of Drowning Survival.
- Hydrodynamics, including why some things float, resistance to movement and creating movement in water, swimming efficiency and laws of levers.
- Basic safety, survival and swimming skills to help children gain water competency.
- Helping people with disabilities and other health conditions enjoy the water safely.
- Water Safety Instructors will also learn how to teach:
- Higher-level swim skills that help prepare people of all ages for any aquatic activity.
- Stroke mechanics for all competitive strokes as well as starts, turns and headfirst entries.
- Water safety certification courses, including Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue.
- Fundamentals of diving from a diving board.
- Aquatic fitness and training for people of any age.
To successfully complete the course and receive American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification you must complete the above prerequisites, attend the entire course, participate in class, complete lesson plans, complete 4 practice teaches, and successfully complete the written test.