About AlcoholEdu

  • Freshmen or transfer student;
  • Younger than 21 years of age; and
  • U.S. citizen or resident

AlcoholEdu is a confidential, online substance education course.  The course uses science-based research to educate students about alcohol and its effects. Whether the student drinks or not, the course will help them make informed decisions about alcohol and better deal with drinking behavior that may occur around them. AlcoholEdu is used by more than 500 college and university campuses nationwide.

The course consists of two parts, both of which must be completed to satisfy this requirement. Campus and AlcoholEdu staff will never see individual student surveys or responses. Students will be emailed about the program once activated and are provided information during their summer advising conferences.


Part 1
This part will take approximately 1.5 hours to complete. It includes:
  • A pre-survey;
  • A pre-test of your alcohol knowledge;
  • The educational course;
  • An exam, which the student must pass with a score of at least 70%; and a post-survey. Students may access Part 1 mid July.
  • The deadline for completing Part 1 is prior to the first day of classes.
  • If students do not complete Part 1 by the deadline, an academic hold will be placed on their account until it is completed.


Part 2
After students arrive on campus, they will receive an email with instructions for completing Part 2 of the course. This Part will take about 20 minutes to complete and includes:
  • Updated alcohol information;
  • A brief video;
  • Students 45 days of the completion of Part One to complete Part Two.
  • If Part 2 is not completed by mid October an academic hold will be placed on your account.

The rationale for using these holds is compliance for data collection. This program and holds have been approved by the Provost, VP for Student Affairs and in partnership with the Registrar. If you have a student who is having an immediate registration issue or concerns about the survey, please contact Student Wellness.


If you are a transfer student and have completed AlcoholEdu at a previous college or university, you do not have to complete AlcoholEdu for UK if you are able to provide a certificate of completion.  In order to receive official exemption, you can do one of the following options:

  • Forward your certificate of completion (if you still have it) to the Student Wellness or
  • Contact your previous institution's AlcoholEdu administrator and ask that person to send an email verfication to the email above.