How to Register

The Registration Coordinator, in the Office of the Registrar, coordinates registration for all undergraduate and graduate students at UK.

Before contacting us, please review the information here to assist you in registering.


UK Registration Coordinator: 11 Funkhouser Building
Hours:  Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone:  859-257-7173

For registration questions or problems, call (859) 257-7173 or email:


If you would like to set up a time to review your concern with the Registration Coordinator, you can schedule a Zoom meeting by using the form below.




New, transfer, and readmitted undergraduate students attend an orientation and register for classes at that time.

Continuing students and graduate students register for the upcoming semester using myUK.

Late Registration begins August 17 and continues through midnight August 21. Note: $40 Late Registration Fee will be charged if you register for classes on or after August 17.


Before You Register

  • Meet with your academic advisor to have your advisor hold lifted. You must have this hold lifted before you can register. (Non-degree students do not have an advisor hold.)
  • Check your account for any stops or holds. To do this, log on to your myUK account, select “myInfo” from the top of the screen, and then “my Stops and Holds” from the menu on the left. You must resolve any stops or holds before you can register.

Newly Admitted Undergraduate Students

  • Freshmen, Transfer, and Readmission students will register during an orientation.
  • Non-Degree students are not required to attend an orientation, but may do so if they wish. If you chose not to attend an orientation, refer to the information in your acceptance letter for registration dates.


Orientation for the following groups of students is on August 14, 2020:

  • Freshmen / Transfer / Readmission
  • International
  • Freshmen / Transfer
  • Readmission / Non-Degree

To sign up for an orientation, please visit the Orientation page.


Currently Enrolled Undergraduate Students

  • Registration for upcoming semesters is held every November and April. Students are assigned a registration window. During this time, students may register for courses, add⁄drop, review their schedules, and perform other functions.

Add/Drop Dates

Fall 2020 -- July 19, 8:00am - August 21, 2020, midnight


Newly Admitted Graduate Students to include previous Undergraduates who have earned a degree from UK

  • New Graduate Students register using myUK. Follow these instructions (PDF) for how to register.

Fall Registration

  • New program graduate students register April 27, 8:00am - August 21, 2020, midnight.
  • New post-baccalaureate students register May 4, 8:00am  - August 21, 2020, midnight.

Currently Enrolled Graduate Students

  • Register using myUK during your assigned registration window.
  • Send questions or comments to: or call (859) 257-7173.
  • Account for any stops or holds. To do this, log on to your myUK account, select “myInfo” from the top of the screen, and then “my Stops and Holds” from the menu on the left. You must resolve any stops or holds before you can register.

Add/Drop Dates

Fall 2020 -- July 19, 8:00am - August 21, 2020, midnight


Waitlisting a Course

  • Use myUK to sign up for a waitlist for a closed class. When a student drops a course, the person in the first position of the waiting list is automatically enrolled and the other students move up one spot.

Using the Waitlist Feature

  • Using the Quick Registration View, enter the course you wish to add and click the ADD button. If the section you request is closed but has a waitlist option, the course will appear on your Registration Screen with the Status of WAITLISTED.
  • Using the Class Search View, enter the course in the Search field. Click on the course link to bring up all available sections being offered. Closed sections that have the waitlist option will have a WAITLIST button instead of an ADD button. To sign up for the waitlist, click on the WAITLIST button. The course will appear on your Registration Screen with the Status of WAITLISTED.
  • Once you are enrolled in a waitlisted course, the course status on your schedule will change from Waitlisted to BOOKED. All other students on the Waitlist will automatically advance one position on the list. If you Waitlist a course, be sure to check your schedule on myUK periodically to determine if your status for the course has changed. You are responsible for monitoring your status in this course.
  • You may remove yourself from the Waitlist at any time during registration or add/drop by using the DROP function.

Certain Waitlist Restrictions

  • You must meet all course prerequisites and pass all restrictions (major restrictions, classification restrictions, etc.) to be eligible to Waitlist.
  • You cannot Waitlist a course that has a time conflict with an Enrolled course on your schedule.
  • You cannot Waitlist for a different section of the same course for which you are already enrolled.
  • You may only Waitlist one section per course.
  • You may only be Enrolled and Waitlisted for the total number of credits for which you are eligible (e.g. most undergraduates have a credit load limit of 19 credit hours). Enrolled hours plus Waitlisted hours may not exceed your credit load limit. If you must maintain full-time status for financial aid or other purposes, Waitlisted hours do not count toward full-time status. Undergraduate students ENROLLED in at least 12 hours are considered full-time. Graduate students enrolled in at least 9 hours are considered full-time.
  • You will remain on the Waitlist until you are successfully enrolled in the course, or until the last day to add a class when all Waitlists are automatically purged.

How to Enroll in a Restricted Course

  • A restricted course limits enrollment to students in a particular college, major, student classification, or program. myUK will not enroll you in a course that is restricted unless you meet the restrictions.
  • If you do not meet the restrictions but still wish to enroll in a restricted course, you must get special permission from the college or department offering the course. Permission to enter a restricted course is issued electronically. Please note that an electronic Class Permit does not constitute registration in a course. After the permit is issued, you must register for the course using myUK.

Changing a Grade Type

  • You may select to change your grade type for a registered course using myUK.
  • Grade types are normal grade type (letter grade), pass/fail, or audit.
  • Freshmen and graduate students may not take courses on a pass/fail basis.

Registering for Part-of-Term Courses

  • Some courses at UK do not start at the beginning of the semester; however, you still must register for them by the last official day to add a part-of-term course. Please check the course catalog for course deadlines.

How to Remove Holds

Do you have a Hold that is preventing you from registering? myUK will not let you register or add if:

  • You have a Hold placed against your record for a financial or other outstanding obligation. Use myUK to check for Holds. You must clear all Holds before myUK will allow you to register, add classes, change sections, or change grade options. Some hold types may prevent you from being able to drop classes or cancel your registration. Please check the hold and contact the appropriate office.
  • You have an Advisor Hold. Most undergraduate students and some graduate students have an Advisor Hold placed against their record. This ensures that students consult with their advisor before they register. Only your official advisor or department can remove an Advisor Hold.

Cancelled Courses

  • If a course in which you are enrolled is cancelled, you will be notified promptly by email from the Registrar's Office.
  • After this date, departments cancelling courses are instructed to post the cancellation on the classroom door.

It's a good idea to review your schedule using myUK shortly before classes begin to check for course cancellations or changes.

Time Conflicts

  • If you receive permission to register in two courses that have overlapping meeting patterns, you must either email the documentation to or bring the documentation to Room 10 Funkhouser Building during your registration or add/drop window.
  • You cannot register for overlapping classes using myUK. (Students enrolled in the Gatton College of Business and Economics must report to the Undergraduate Resource Center in 144 B&E Building to resolve time conflicts, regardless of the course.)

Information about How to Withdraw

For registration questions or problems, call (859) 257-7173 or email: