Student Responsibility and Liability Agreement
The purpose of this agreement is to specify the responsibilities of students receiving University-owned equipment and to provide students with information regarding policies that govern the use of technology owned and managed by the University of Kentucky (UK).
Sole Use of the Equipment
- I understand that I am being loaned equipment by UK for my sole use and benefit as a learning tool while actively enrolled as a student at the University. I am assuming responsibility for maintaining and protecting the equipment, as long as the equipment is issued to me.
- The use of this equipment is a privilege that can be revoked. Inappropriate use or neglect can result in limits to or loss of use of University resources. I will take every reasonable precaution to protect the equipment.
- I agree that the equipment will be managed by the University, who will provide technical support. The University may access the physical device and/or software to perform any function required during support. Access will not include personal data stored on the equipment or backed up on cloud services unless I explicitly grant permission. The University is not responsible for any personal data stored on my equipment or backed up on to a cloud service.
- I will not tamper with the hardware, remove components, bypass or replace the operating system installed with the device, or remove necessary software from my equipment.
- I agree that if equipment is stolen, it is my responsibility to report it to the police and communicate with the Smart Campus about options.
Returning the Equipment
- I am responsible for all outstanding debts and contracts with the University. The University reserves the right to assess financial penalties on any indebtedness. Any past-due accounts may be referred to an outside collection agency or the Department of Revenue, which could result in collection fees and may be reported to one or more of the national credit bureaus. If my account is referred to an outside collection agency, I understand and agree to reimburse the University for any collections agency fees, which may be based on a percentage at a maximum of 33% of the debt, and all costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, the University incurs in such collection efforts. If my account is referred to the Department of Revenue, I understand and agree to reimburse the University for any Department of Revenue fees, which are based on a percentage 25% of the debt, plus 6% interest accrued daily, and all costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney fees, the university incurs in such collection efforts.
- I understand that if I leave UK for any reason before graduation, I must return the equipment to the University within 30 days. If I fail to do so, I will be billed for up to the full replacement cost of the equipment. I acknowledge that if I fail to pay the invoiced amount in full, this will become a financial delinquency resulting in a hold being placed on my academic records. Failure to pay for the equipment will result in a theft report filed with law enforcement.
- I will not sell, give away, or otherwise transfer ownership of the equipment.
- I must immediately return the equipment at the request of the University, including representatives from the Office of the Chief Information Officer.
- I understand that if I graduate from UK, the equipment assigned to me will become my property upon graduation. All software owned or licensed by UK will be removed and retained by the University.
Appropriate Use of the Equipment
- While the primary purpose for this equipment is educational, personal use is permitted.
- As with all computing equipment on campus, I must adhere to all applicable laws, policies, University regulations. I am solely responsible for the conduct of this equipment, including software, and University resources accessed by this equipment.
- The equipment is enrolled in UK’s Mobile Device Management (MDM) service in order to provide a reliable experience and to enhance security in compliance with University policies. The intent of the MDM is to:
- Allow UK to push University-purchased/approved applications and digital assets (e.g. eBooks) to the equipment. This allows applications and digital assets to be available via “Self-Service” including the list of applications installed on the equipment;
- Require a 6-character passcode, enable equipment encryption, and set the screen to lock after a specified period of inactivity;
- Prevent bypass of removal of MDM, including a user-initiated factory reset of the equipment or non-University management profiles; and
- Distribute software updates and related notifications to protect against vulnerabilities.
- I can view details of the MDM profile on my equipment at any time and be informed if any aspect of the MDM is changed.
- Any attempt to bypass or remove MDM or other functionality established by the University will result in a remote reset to the original configuration, and/or equipment will be disabled and rendered nonfunctional, resulting in potential loss of data on the equipment.
- Should ownership of the equipment be transferred from UK to the student (either through graduation or purchase from the University) UK will remove all management, including MDM, University-owned applications, and software. Removal of any of the above may result in a factory reset of the equipment, resulting in potential data loss.
- Installing software in any manner other than through the approved IOS App Store or Self-Service is not permitted. The only exception is for student’s tethered computers running an integrated development environment for the purpose of application development.
- I am responsible for payment of any purchases made through the approved IOS App Store.
- Like any equipment connected to the UK network, network traffic is subject to monitoring, to protect against security threats, intrusions, and illegal activity.
- I am responsible for backing up equipment data. The University provides secure cloud storage for students and is not responsible for backing up equipment data, or the loss of equipment data.
- If I lose the device and have purchased additional insurance to replace it, such as a rider on home/apartment insurance or a separate insurance program, ownership must be transferred back to the University.