FAQs for Faculty and Staff

How can I file a report? For violations other than academic misconduct, use the Non-Academic Report Form. For incidents of academic misconduct, see S.R. 6.3.0 or contact the Office of Academic Ombud Services.


What is the best way to contact the Office of Student Conduct? Visit our office between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday, or email us at studentconduct@uky.edu.


How can I request a training or presentation? Email us at studentconduct@uky.edu.


How do I know if a student’s behavior potentially violates the Code of Student Conduct? Please fill out the Non-Academic Incident Report Form and the Office of Student Conduct will follow up with you and determine what, if any, policies may have been violated and the student conduct process moving forward.  If you prefer to contact us prior to submitting a report, give us a call or email us at studentconduct@uky.edu.


What if I need to make a referral after normal business hours? If you are in an emergency situation that requires medical, psychological, or police services, call 911 from a campus phone or (859) 257-UKPD (8573) from an off-campus phone.


When should I call the police?  You should contact UKPD whenever you feel there is an immediate threat of violence or unlawful behavior, including a student’s refusal to leave class after being told to do so. This is especially true during evening and weekend hours when campus offices and resources are not open to provide support. 


What information do I need to make a referral to the Office of Student Conduct?  Your referral should be as descriptive as possible. If you have student names, documentation, photos, or any information that would assist the student conduct process, you should include that information in your referral.


How can I address students who display disruptive behavior? We recommend the following:

  • Include clear and specific information regarding your expectations for student behavior in your syllabus and during the first day of class to proactively address student conduct concerns.
  • Meet with the student to discuss the behavior, reiterate your expectations for classroom conduct, and give him/her an opportunity to change the behavior.
  • If the behavior continues, refer the behavior to the Office of Student Conduct through the Non-Academic Incident Report Form. You can inform the student that he/she is not permitted to return to class until the behavior has been managed by the Office of Student Conduct. You have to provide reasonable accommodations for the student to complete missed assignments.

​After receiving a report, our staff will be in contact with you regarding the next steps in the student conduct process, outcome of the student conduct process (if applicable) and discuss how to move forward after a behavioral issue has occurred. If the behavior does not fall within our Code of Student Conduct, our staff will work with you on gathering resources that are most relevant to your situation at hand.

Longer separations from a class must be preceded by a student conduct meeting as outlined in the Code of Student Conductor procedures for managing academic offenses as outlined in the University Senate Rules, Section 6.4 (Disposition of Cases of Academic Offenses).


I do not feel comfortable confronting students, can I just forward the information to the Office of Student Conduct? Managing student conduct concerns in the classroom is meant to be an educational experience and allow for dialogue between the student and faculty regarding appropriate behaviors within an academic community.  We strongly encourage you to discuss the behavior with the student first, before referring the behavior to our office.  In incidents that involve the health and/or safety of you, your students, or any member of the UK community, please contact the police (911 for an on-campus phone and (859) 257-UKPD (8573) from an off-campus phone) immediately and refer the behavior to the Community of Concern Team.


What is considered disruptive, threatening, or violent behavior? The Community of Concern Team has provided a guide to recognizing and responding to behaviors of concern.


Shouldn’t all students already know what behavior is appropriate at UK? Although it is expected that all members of the UK community educate themselves on University expectations and policies, all students do not share the same understanding of what is responsible conduct.  For that reason, it is appropriate for faculty and staff to outline expectations and refer students to appropriate resources to encourage responsible behaviors.  For example, faculty should clearly state expectations and consequences in their syllabus and go over this information on the first day of class.  Faculty and staff who maintain regular relationships with students, such as advising a student organization or supervising student employees, should also state expectations and consequences at the start of the relationship.  The Office of Student Conduct can also assist in this effort to educate students about what behaviors are appropriate in an academic setting.


What is FERPA? The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable information contained within student education records. Student conduct records are also protected by FERPA and our office cannot share information about a student without his/her consent. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar.


I believe a group of students/student organization is involved in misconduct. Do I still refer the behavior to Office of Student Conduct? Yes. Both individual students and student organizations have expectations and responsibilities under the Code of Student Conduct. If the behavior seems to be related to a student organization, our staff will work with other campus partners, such as Office of Student Involvement and Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, to address the behavior.


Once I make a referral to the Office of Student Conduct, is my participation in the student conduct process complete? Possibly. After the Office of Student Conduct receives your referral, you may be asked to provide additional information if necessary.  In instances where a hearing or appeal occurs, you may be notified and asked to serve as a witness to provide direct knowledge regarding the incident in question. Our staff will follow up with you after the referral is received, walk you through each step of the process, and answer any questions that arise as the student conduct moves forward.


Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) training QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer – 3 steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide.  People trained in QPR learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to get a person at risk the help they need. You might be surprised and may find it useful at some point in your life with someone you know and care about.  For more information on QPR, or to schedule a QPR training session, contact Dr. Mary Bolin at (859) 257-8701 or visit http://www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/Counseling/suicideprev.html

If you would like referral information on mental health resources, please call the Resource Referral Line at (859) 457-0022. This is a service of UK IN-CASE, a joint program of the University of Kentucky Counseling Center: Consultation and Psychological Services and the College of Social Work.