The Study will be offering virtual Peer Tutoring and SI for the Summer 2020!
Tutor Matching Service
The University of Kentucky partners with Tutor Matching Service (TMS) to provide UK students and the Lexington community a simple and easy way to find a private tutor. TMS is an online tutor “marketplace” that matches students with tutors for both online and in-person tutoring sessions. TMS helps students find, schedule, and book quality tutors across a broad range of academic subjects.
Transformative Learning (TL) has collaborated with TMS for the convenience of clients who either cannot use UK’s FREE Tutoring services or would prefer a private tutor. The TMS tutors offer their services on a pay-per-session basis and self-select the subject areas they are available to tutor in. Tutors also set their own rates, and clients pay them directly through TMS. TL does provide “badges” to those student tutors who have received additional training, are recommended by a faculty member, or currently enrolled graduate student, as well as who have an overall high GPA. However, these “badges” in no way guarantee the quality of the tutors. The University of Kentucky provides no oversight over the tutors’ services and does not make any recommendation regarding their fitness to tutor the subject area(s) they have self-selected to tutor in.
To ensure a safe and productive private tutoring experience, please consider the following:
- Check tutor ratings & badges: Every student is required to rate their tutor after their session together, and you can view all of a tutor’s ratings by clicking on their profile. Badges are another great way to guide how you select the best tutor for you.
- Practice good personal-safety: While all private tutoring sessions through TMS are held on-campus (or online) you should always practice good personal-safety habit such as: remain aware of your surroundings, stay in populated and well-lit areas, avoid walking alone at night, and trust your instincts. For more information about how you can stay safe on campus please go to: https://www.uky.edu/police/campus-safety
- Be Prepared: Arrive to your session on time and equipped with resources such as notes, textbook, pen/pencil, calculator, and laptop.
For more information about Tutor Matching Service including their 100% Guarantee, Tutor Rights & Responsibilities, and FAQ visit their website at: https://tutormatchingservice.com/#/home
For assistance or questions regarding TMS please contact help@TutorMatchingService.com
Sign up to be a tutor
UK students interested in offering their services as a private tutor can sign-up through TMS by clicking HERE
Disclaimer: Per F-1 and J-1 on-campus employment regulations prohibiting any type of self-employment, international students are not eligible to serve as private tutors through TMS. Private tutoring is considered self-employment.
Transformative Learning offers 4 badges, recognizing a tutor’s achievements and qualifications. A brief description and requirements for each badge are listed below.
- CRLA Certified: Tutors who are "CRLA certified" have received certification through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) by completing at least 10 hours of training on "Tutoring Best Practices" and have tutored for at least 25 hours. For more information on the CRLA certification process and standards please refer to their website at: http://crla.net/index.php/certifications/ittpc-international-tutor-training-program.
- Faculty Recommended: Tutors who are "Faculty Recommended" have been endorsed through a Letter of Recommendation submitted by a current professor.
- High GPA: Tutors are considered to have a high GPA if their cumulative GPA at the University of Kentucky is above a 3.5
- Graduate Student: Tutors are considered to be a Graduate Student if they are currently pursuing a graduate degree and enrolled in graduate level course work at the University of Kentucky.