What Is Academic Coaching?
Academic Coaching is a program designed to help you set academic goals and enhance your success as a student. You can expect to talk about things like test taking strategies, note taking, study habits, and time management. Setting goals is a large part of coaching. In a one-on-one setting with a trained graduate student, you will work to set goals for your courses and create an action plan to accomplish your goals.
What are the benefits of Academic Coaching?
- There are so many benefits! One great benefit is that Academic Coaching involves a one-on-one session. This equates to appointments being tailored to your specific needs. Another benefit is that it is collaborative! This means that while a coach will work with you throughout the process, you can expect to have your voice and opinions heard! A coach will be there with you as you create an academic success plan to help you manage your course load or prepare for all classes! Another benefit is that this service will ensure that you are using your time wisely! A coach can work with you to create a study schedule and identify effective study strategies to make the best use of your time.
Who needs a Coach?
- Everyone needs a coach! You wouldn't train for a marathon without a proper running coach, so why tackle the journey of college without a coach?
How do I make an appointment?
- Appointments can be made at www.uky.edu/tl/appointment. If you have never used the system, you will be prompted to make an account before you can make an appointment. Please note the location of your appointment.
Where can I find Coaching?
- We offer services Monday-Friday at The Study Central (Donovan Hall) and Sunday-Friday at The Study North (Jewell Hall). Visit uky.mywconline.net to choose a day, time, and convenient location.
What should I bring to my appointment?
- The sessions are free! Just bring any questions or concerns you may have. It is also helpful to bring your agenda/planner, class schedule, work schedule, class syllabi, class notes, and study materials.
No Show and Late Policy
- Please arrive on time for your Academic Coaching appointment at your scheduled location. If you arrive 15 minutes after the scheduled start time of your appointment, it will be considered a “No Show.” Canceling an appointment within 2 hours of the appointment start time also qualifies as a “No Show.” If you receive 2 “No Shows,” you will no longer be able to schedule an appointment in WCOnline. If you have received 2 “No Shows” and wish to schedule another appointment, please contact your advisor and ask them to email firstname.lastname@example.org on your behalf.
What Academic Coaching IS:
- Supplemental to coursework
- Supplemental to advising
- Academically focused
- Peer mentorship
- Beneficial for both parties
What Academic Coaching IS NOT:
- Content specific
- Academic advising
- Life coaching
- One sided