Frequently Asked Questions - Bicycle Questions
- Why should I register my bicycle?
- What are the benefits to cyclists?
- I don’t ride a bike. How will this benefit me?
- Who should register their bicycles?
- I am not a UK student or employee, but I often visit campus on my bike. Should I register my bike?
- Where can I register?
- My bicycle name brand/manufacturer is not listed as an option in the online registration system. What should I do?
- Where can I find the serial number on my bicycle?
- I looked all over and can’t find a serial number on my bicycle. How do I apply for a permit?
- What if I have more than one bicycle?
- Should I register my child's bicycle if I reside in married housing?
- How do I attach the permit to my bicycle?
- What if my bike is stolen?
- What should I do if I give away or sell my registered bicycle?
- My question isn’t listed here. Where do I get answers?
Why should I register my bicycle?
Bicycle registration provides a way for Transportation Services to provide information and implement bicycle policy, thereby developing and improving the bicycling experience campus-wide. Registration has benefits for all members of the UK community, not just cyclists.
What are the benefits to cyclists?
Bicycle registration has a number of benefits to cyclists. A UK bicycle permit
- Acts as a visible theft deterrent; similar programs on other campuses have decreased bicycle thefts.
- Can potentially reduce costs to cyclists. If your bike is registered and it is illegally parked or appears to be abandoned, Transportation Services can contact you directly in certain situations using the information provided during registration, rather than impounding your bicycle and cutting the lock. Proof of registration can also be helpful if you want to file an insurance claim on your stolen bike.
- Aids in theft recovery. Transportation Services can flag your bike as stolen, provide you with your serial number and look for your bike – all provided it is registered with our department.
- Assists with campus and local bicycle education outreach programs, including, but not limited to, the Bicycle E-News email newsletter.
I don’t ride a bike. How will this benefit me?
As more members of the University community turn to cycling, the demand for parking will be reduced. Increased bicycle use will also aid in shrinking Lexington’s carbon footprint. When that happens everyone wins - our campus, our community and our environment.
Who should register their bicycles?
All members of the campus community who plan to park their bicycle on campus are encouraged to obtain a valid bicycle permit, which is provided free of charge.
I am not a UK student or employee, but I often visit campus on my bike. Should I register my bike?
Yes, campus visitors should register their bikes. To do so, you will need to apply in person or by mail. You can apply in person at the locations listed below. If you would rather apply by mail, email UKBikes@lsv.uky.edu with your mailing address and contact information, and an application will be mailed to you.
Where can I register?
Bicycle permits are available online. Bike permits are also available over the counter at Press Avenue Garage (721 Press Ave.), the South Limestone Garage (409 South Limestone) and UK HealthCare Parking Garage ().
My bicycle name brand/manufacturer is not listed as an option in the online registration system. What should I do?
Simply e-mail us at UKBikes@lsv.uky.edu. A Transportation Services staff member will notify you when the system has been updated to include your bike’s manufacturer.
Where can I find the serial number on my bicycle?
Click here for some common places to find the serial number on your bicycle.
I looked all over and can’t find a serial number on my bicycle. How do I apply for a permit?
If you can’t find your serial number and have already checked the common places listed above, you will need to come to one of our office locations to apply for your bicycle permit. You can apply in person at the following locations: Parking Structure #6 (721 Press Avenue), Parking Structure #5 (located next to Kennedy's Wildcat Den) or 110 Transcript Avenue (UK HealthCare Parking Garage).
What if I have more than one bicycle?
You are encouraged to register each bicycle that you plan to park on campus.
Should I register my child's bicycle if I reside in married housing?
Transportation Services encourages all bicycles parked on campus to be registered.
How do I attach the permit to my bicycle?
Bike permits are decals which should be adhered to the seat tube, approximately 8 inches from the bottom, facing the front of the bicycle.
What should I do if I give away or sell my registered bicycle?
First, remove as much of the permit as possible from the bicycle. Second, you should notify Transportation Services that you have given or sold the bike to another individual. Have the model and color of the bike as well as the bike permit number to be removed from your records.
What if my bike is stolen?
If you believe your bicycle has been stolen, you should first contact UK Transportation Services (UKBikes@lsv.uky.edu) to confirm that your bike was not impounded. If it was not, contact the UK Police Department at (859) 257-8573 to file a report.
My question isn’t listed here. Where do I get answers?
Just email UKBikes@lsv.uky.edu, and one of our staff members will get back to you shortly.