Frequently Asked Questions - Bicycle Voucher Questions
- What is the purpose of the bicycle voucher program?
- Am I eligible for the program?
- How do I sign up?
- How and when will I find out if I have been selected to receive a bicycle voucher?
- How do the vouchers work?
- What if my situation changes and I need to purchase a parking permit?
- Where can I use my voucher?
What is the purpose of the program?
The purpose of the bicycle voucher program – like that of all UK's alternative transportation programs – is to reduce the number of single-occupancy motor vehicle trips to, from and around campus, and to promote modes of transportation that save money (for individuals and the University), foster healthier lifestyles and have lower environmental impacts.
Since the bike voucher program is focused on changing behavior and reaching as many people as possible, priority will be given to students and employees who have had a vehicle parking permit for the past fiscal year (July 1 - June 30), but those new to the university will also be given consideration.
Am I eligible for the program?
Faculty, staff and students of the University of Kentucky are eligible to participate if they agree to forgo the purchase of a motor vehicle parking permit for two (2) years following the issue of the voucher AND meet the following qualifying criteria:
Faculty and staff:
- Held a parking permit for the past year or more or are new to campus (with a start date of March 2018 or later)
- Have a main campus work assignment
- Work weekday, daytime shifts
- Faculty and staff with temporary work assignments must have a work assignment end date of at least two (2) years later than the date of voucher issue to be considered for the program
- Faculty and staff who live in the same household as another eligible faculty, staff or student are subject to additional restrictions to prevent abuse of the program
- Students who live in campus housing are not eligible to participate. The Big Blue Cycles program provides free bicycle check-out to students living on campus in exchange for signing a car-free commitment.
- Held a parking permit for the previous year or are new to campus (starting classes Fall 2018).
- Have an expected graduation date at least two (2) academic years later than the date of voucher issue.
- Students who live in the same household as another eligible faculty, staff or student are subject to additional restrictions to prevent abuse of the program.
How do I sign up?
Sign up for the program at www.uky.edu/transportation/help-and-resources_bicycle-voucher-form. Deadline to apply is August 31, 2018. Interested students and employees are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
How and when will I find out if I have been selected to receive a bicycle voucher?
Those who qualify and are selected will be notified via email that they are eligible. Transportation Services will begin reviewing applications in mid-May, and will notify recipients on a rolling basis.
Prior to receiving the bike voucher, prospective participants must attend a short program orientation covering basic bicycle safety and regulations, as well as campus and community resources for bicyclists. Prospective participants may reschedule their orientation date; however, prospective participants who are absent from orientation without notice may be subject to removal from consideration.
How do the vouchers work?
Voucher may be used at participating shops toward the purchase of a bicycle or toward gear and accessories to outfit a bike that the employee or student already owns. Get a new bike, or fix up and equip the one you have for year-round commuting with fenders, lights, baskets, racks, pannier bags, a pump, maintenance tools, lubricant, spare parts, tubes and tire liners, etc.
Vouchers can only be redeemed by the recipient. They are non-transferable. Vouchers have no cash value and may not be used to purchase gift certificates. No change or gift cards will be issued for any unused balance. Vouchers expire on June 30, 2020. Each voucher may only be used for one transaction at one bike shop. Vouchers may not be combined with vouchers issued to other individuals. If lost, vouchers cannot be replaced. Treat them like cash. You must present your Wildcard ID and submit your voucher to the bike shop at the time of purchase.
Voucher users may choose to spend additional personal funds (though they will be subject to sales tax), or to not redeem the full amount of the voucher. Get whatever you need to be safe and comfortable commuting year-round by bike.
What if my situation changes and I need to purchase a parking permit?
Those who accept a voucher must return any current parking permits to Transportation Services and sign a two-year car-free commitment, making them ineligible to purchase a new permit for two full calendar years.
If you cannot make this long-term commitment and think you might want a permit in the future due to changes in weather, relocation, medical issues, theft of your bike, future availability of reserved parking spots, etc., then this program is NOT for you.
Emergency appeals will be reviewed on an individual basis and will require full repayment of the portion of the voucher used by recipient.
Ten (10) single-day permits will be provided to each voucher recipient at no cost when they receive their voucher. Participants will also have the opportunity to purchase up to 40 additional single-day permits per fiscal year. Single-day permits are intended to be used on days when bicycling is not a feasible option for the participant, and are not intended to take the place of a regular vehicle parking permit.
Where can I use my voucher?
The following independent bicycle dealers will accept the UK Bicycle Vouchers. The vouchers may not be used at any other locations.
- Bicycle Face - 333 E Short St. - (859) 888-2453
- Broomwagon Coffee + Bikes - 800 N. Limestone - (859) 554-6938
- Crankworks Bicycles - 439 Southland Dr. – (859) 523-7433
- Pedal Power Bike Shop - 401 S. Upper St. – (859) 255-6408
- Scheller’s Fitness & Cycling – 1987 Harrodsburg Road – (859) 276-1071